freeflyz

Packing a Velocity

From all accounts its the nature of the beast...

Its a lot about flying the openings (or not in the Velocities case). I've heard from Roger Nelson and a few other people that I respect for thier canopy skills that the velocity does not like tyo be flown in the snivel at all.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I pro pack mine and do nothing special with the nose . I have only had one or two off heading openings . Be very careful who you let pack for you . My only cutaway on a velocity was from a packer who said he knew how to pack a velocity . My rule now is if you have never jumped one you are not packing mine .

The Velocity likes to dance during the snivel... if you try to control it too much it will spin on you...

I use a pro pack, square the slider, then set the nose even with everything else (not tucked in), then will pull the center cell out a little... it will still dance around, but will stay within about 90^ of on heading (at least mine does)... opens soft as a dream... I jump cameras (a lot of them) so that is important.

So again, pro pack with nose set in the center, squared slider and center cell pulled out a bit... it is what works for me...

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I've got a 111 and a 120 -- interestingly enough when I packed the 111 up right after I got it, it was the best opening I've ever had on any canopy. Of course, I haven't been able to duplicate that. I mostly use packers (team training, no time), and they do a pretty good job, anyway, I pack it symetrical, and quarter the slider, I do not try to rear riser and steer on opening, that's the coaching I got from the PD sponsored boys, works for me. I get pretty consistent openings, whatever you do keep everything the same on either side of the line sets!

I had the same problem when I got my 111 and of course I´ve tried to improve the openings by trying out different pack job methods (nose in , nose out, quarter the slider etc.) but all of that didn´t seem to make a big difference. Almost desperately I wrote to PD and got a reply from Ian Bellis who at that point in time was the marketing director of PD. He told me that "flying through the opening" is something that one should get rid off when jumping a VE. Being relaxed in the harness is the key to success. But if this is not enough he told me that there is a different slider than the original one available. As it is slightly smaller it is supposed to reduce the snivel time and therefore supports faster, yet still comfortable and on-heading openings. I didn´t try this slider but it may be an option if one is really bothered by the "dancing queen". With regard to packing technique I think one can improve the openings by creating as much symetry in the pack job as possible (Of course this is true for any other canopy as well however velocities seem to like symetrical packings in particular). So what I do is basically an even standard pro pack with a quartered slider . Then I lay it down on the ground 180 turned to the right so it is on its back (actually same like Psycho pack) I then go on with the s-folds but instead of rolling it I just turn it around again and I bag the canopy as usual on a pro pack. I found this helpful for symetry and at least I have the impression that the openings are now a bit better. However body position during opening remains the most import factor. Good luck!
Holger