Kirils

Hacky Wacky

I was packing a rig tonight and when I cocked the pilot chute the hacky tore off! On inspection, the loop of material on the hacky had worn through. I would guess there are less than 500 jumps on this pilot chute. Of all the things I check on a rig this is one thing I really have never paid attention to. I have no idea where half of the pilot chutes I've used came from.
Has anyone seen a problem like this?
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

That is why I check key wear points on main canopies when I re-attach them after reserve repacks. Half the time this results in minor repairs, repairs that are easy to do now (i.e. re-setting grommets) but expensive if left too long (i.e. patching the d-bag, tehn installing a new grommet).
Key wear points include: pilotchute, bridle, d-bag, slider and risers.
If they want a more detailed inspection than that, they can pay me $30 for a full main inspection.

If they want a more detailed inspection than that, they can pay me $30 for a full main inspection

i'm not real sure how to respond to this statement. so i'll just say i'm perplexed by it.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

If they want a more detailed inspection than that, they can pay me $30 for a full main inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm not real sure how to respond to this statement. so i'll just say i'm perplexed by it.

why? when yo uget a re-pack it doesn't include a main inspection, if you want that, it is more $$. Rob actaully does more than most it sounds like.

Richard has just been spoiled by his rigger is all :P

Actually, I always see him do little extras like inspecting pilot chutes and risers, 3-rings get flexed, cables get cleaned, and new closing loops all around.
Fly it like you stole it!

Richard has just been spoiled by his rigger is all :P

your right, i had to entertain the idea of putting another rig together just to ship one or the other back and forth to colorado! ;) my man hook, he's he's a bad mutha f-SHUT YOR MOUTH! well i'm just talking bout' hook, can ya dig it?:S
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I was packing a rig tonight and when I cocked the pilot chute the hacky tore off! On inspection, the loop of material on the hacky had worn through. I would guess there are less than 500 jumps on this pilot chute. Of all the things I check on a rig this is one thing I really have never paid attention to. I have no idea where half of the pilot chutes I've used came from.
Has anyone seen a problem like this?

A friend at my home DZ had her entire D-bag seperate *after* deployment, which took the PC along with it. She didn't know until after she set her canopy down and noticed no PC and no bag.

Her rig was a brand-new Odyssey. Never found the bag or PC since it was all black, including the PC.... :|

Those aren't extras to me. That's part of the service I provide. When ever I get a rig I haven't seen before or for a couple of years there's always something that needs work. Toggle velcro, bridle velcro, worn out spandex, damaged risers, worn steering lines. Minor things I do as part of the inspection and repack for long term, faithful customers. I have some customers that bring their rig to my once every year or two just to have some one picky look at it.

I've seen both PC handles and main PINS held on by a few loose threads. These are things that you either need to inspect yourself, ask if your rigger inspects them, or pay him to. No offense, but it amazes me that people can pack their mains and not realize that their main pin or hacky handle is ready to fall off.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

i have seen this happen in the air befoe. very luckly the guy it happened to went directly for his reserve. your PC should be very closely inspected monthly for wear and tear. this can be real bad when you are at pull time and only the hacky comes out.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

You would be surprised at how many riggers don't even pull the cutaway cables out of the housing, just pull it threw the white loop and that is it. Heck I've seen a bunch of repacks where the reserve closing loop hadn't been replaced in several repacks. Just cause you and Derek consider that service standard doesn't mean other riggers do. It really is surprising the difference between riggers. Of course the riggers that take 10-15 min to do little extras are the ones with extremely loyal customers who come back time after time. You can tell in their work too, it's the difference between a pack job that is tight, clean, with the pilot chute seated perfectly and the one where the pilot chute is lifting and you can rock it around.
Fly it like you stole it!

Wow! This is too wierd.

I'm VERY curious christoofar.

Was your friend jumping a collapsible or 'kill-line' pilot chute?

This same thing almost happened to my wife a few weeks ago but she caught it while packing on the ground. Right after landing and upon inspection she found that the French link that connects the P/C~D-bag to the top of the canopy had come unthreaded. Upon further inspection with a local rigger he determined that it was a cheapy hardware store link not a 'Rapeed (sp?) Link' required for higher loading. This link only had about 2 1/2 maybe 3 threads.

This also happened on her brand new Javelin Odyssey. I would be real curious to hear your answer. (Hmmmmm).

Wow! This is too wierd.

I'm VERY curious christoofar.

Was your friend jumping a collapsible or 'kill-line' pilot chute?

This same thing almost happened to my wife a few weeks ago but she caught it while packing on the ground. Right after landing and upon inspection she found that the French link that connects the P/C~D-bag to the top of the canopy had come unthreaded. Upon further inspection with a local rigger he determined that it was a cheapy hardware store link not a 'Rapeed (sp?) Link' required for higher loading. This link only had about 2 1/2 maybe 3 threads.

This also happened on her brand new Javelin Odyssey. I would be real curious to hear your answer. (Hmmmmm).

It was a CPC, like you find on most new rigs. Strange that happened to your wife. I wonder if the two incidents are related in any way? I haven't seen Shannon since that occurred (probably grounded until she gets replacement parts).

I haven't seen any recalls on SunPath's website about this. I'm sure she'll let SunPath know about it. When I run into her again I'll post a follow-up on this thread.