ChileRelleno

Reflex,main riser coverage,secondary???

As i've become more involved with freeflying I'm becoming concerned with the main riser coverage on my Reflex. I was curious if anyone knows of,has seen or has any input on the possibilty of installing a secondary riser cover modification?
Chile Relleno.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I'm curious why you think you'd need to do that.

From what I understand, the Reflex was designed specificially with non-belly-to-earth flying in mind.

I've never had an issue with my riser covers keeping things in place.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was wondering the same thing as Chile.

My right riser cover has a nasty tendancy of poping open whenever I bend, although it doesn't have a problem in the air. I would just feel more comfortable with secondary risers.

J
J
YSD#0009

I personally haven't had a problem as of yet but i have seen others with enough riser showing to be a concern,as to whether they were sloppy or had smaller reserves/mains than their H/C was built for may be factors. The point is the concern is in my mind and i'm very safety conscious so i'm asking questions about what seems to me a area of concern. Other manufacturers design with freeflying in mind and they provide secondaries in addition to adequate primaries. so I ask my peers "what do you think?"

About the only things I'd watch out for is making sure that the little plastic riser cover do-dads aren't worn out and perhaps a mis-match between reserve and container sizes. Other than that, I feel perfectly comfortable flying my Reflex in any orientation and have for years.

It might be worth a call up to Trident Harness & Container to see if they recommend any aftermarket mods.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah I was talking with the rigger @ Perris about that. He said he has replaced quite a few stiffeners when they get really bent but that mine look ok. I think, like Chile, I'd just be a little more comfortable with secondaries. ;)

Sorry about jacking the thread Chile.
I'm outta here...
J

My little tuck tabs always pop out when i am packing and putting my rig on, occasionally in the plane also, but i havnt had them pop out in freefall (to my knowledge... I am not too worried about it as long as I dont have lines slapping me in the back!
-yoshi

B|OK,my concerns are easing up as we babble,reply from Ryan Gifford of Trident H/C says that neither them nor Fliteline has e ver offered a secondary mod due to the fact that there has never been shown a proven need them. States pretty much the same as Quade(thank you) thats its freefly proven and just watch out for worn tucktabs.
thanks for all your input,feeling comfy now,end of thread as far as i'm concerned.
;) Chile Relleno.

I actually had the opposite problem with my riser covers on my reflex, they worked so well I'd have to give my risers a tug to pop open the covers when my canopy was open. Made for some fun openings with my crossfire.

FF Tip: To keep the main pin flap from coming untucked in a sit (I've seen it on several reflexes mine included) only put the shark fin tab under the 2 side flaps, not all 3 flaps (sides & top). 200+ jumps like this and it never came out.
Fly it like you stole it!

Never had a problem with the riser covers. It may be a problem with the size of the reserve or how it is packed.

I had problems with the shark fin tab so I had it removed and replaced with 2 aligator teeth. Never had a problem since.

Danger

Some of the initial Reflexes had some problems with both the riser covers and the main pin protector. They were still working on the patterns for some of the sizes when I bought mine in 1999 and they had to make a second one for me. (The size was wrong for the canopies stated and you could not install a cypress because bartacks were in the way in the channel.) They also had (have?) a larger shark fin for the main flap that's available for some rig sizes. Anything made after the first few months should be ok.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Due to the mechanics of the Reflex riser covers, installation of secondary covers can cause riser cover jams under certain conditions. When I designed the Reflex, in 1994/ 95 one of the primary concerns was to engineer covers that would stay closed during free fall and open cleanly when needed. design is an iterative process and it takes many iterations to get a design just right. Realizing that nothing can ever be perfect all of the time, I designed them to have minimal issues if they were ever to open in free fall. During testing with open riser covers at terminal velocity, the risers stayed put in their respective channels and the smaller "tuck tabs" caused minimal discomfort to the neck and ears of the jumper. Initially the design proved to work too well on some systems and it took some time to understand all the forces at play using different canopy/ container/ harness fits. Eventually I felt we got it right. I did do some preliminary design work on on internal covers but felt that it needed more work before it became mainstream. When the company was sold to Bomber Mfg just over a year ago it was one of the many things "still on the drawing board", they may still run with it, I don't know. But, do not and I repeat do not have a local rigger modify your rig with some type of internal cover, this type of work needs to be engineered at the factory.
Mick Cottle.

chile , I've been jumping a reflex for the last 300+ jumps (all freefly) , and i have never had my tuck tabs on my risers come open . My main flap comes open all the time )not good) , but thats because my container was built for a 210 and I have a 149 xfire in it .I just ordered a new voodoo about 2 months ago so that will be fixed soon. By the way if anyone want to buy my reflex check my classifieds!