3fLiEr

Stowless Bags

I have seen a few people jump D-bags without stows - it has a pocket on the outside created by a flap with two locking stows - the lines are freestowed in the pocket - kinda like a tailpocket on CRW / BASE canopies - and the locking stows ensure the canopy does not deploy until line stretch -
has anyone seen this before and know of any manufacturer that has these for sale........

cya

Michael

D-bags without stows. I don't think good idea for low weigh canopys because I had tried it in my small HP canopy (85 sq ft) and have a big unrecoverable line twist in second jump with it, that forced me to cut-away (also however because I loosened one toggle when i tried to clear the twists), the first with it canopy model and size in more 400 jumps.

Roq

I think the problem is only with small size and weight canopys, because the low mass and inertia forces the ocasional bag twist before the canopy deployment. With the stows the bag has lateral swinging but doesn't rotate with easiness I think.

Roq

The free-stow bags you are talking about used to be vogue back around 1989 around here. I never saw anyone have to chop because of one back then, but we weren't jumping tiny ellipticals either.

Are these the bags that Sunpath has been putting in some of their rigs? When Sebastian XL was CrossKeys a while back they all had similar bags, or is that something different?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I love it when we reinvent the wheel. Another con of those bags was that everytime you deployed, the suspension lines were pulled out through the velcro closure, thus fraying them at an accellerated rate as they ground over the "hook" portion. Not something I would recommend with today's tiny lines. Then again, if you are not paying for your equipment, who cares, right?;)

Chuck

They are a new type of bag that Sunpath is currently field-testing. Sebastian XL recently received a batch of them with their new Oddyseys. The design looks like it has some potenital. There is no velcro anywhere on the bag. The members of XL said that they liked the openings they were getting with these bags and their Velocities. They said that the time from throw-out to line stretch was very quick, but they were still getting nice, soft openings after reaching line stretch. Nonetheless, I don't know if I would want to try this bag with a canopy that is known for opening briskly, such as an old Sabre. Also, it is extemely important that the canopy be well matched with the size of the bag (not overstuffed). It looks as though an overstuffed bag could cause an out-of sequence deployment (line dump). Nonetheless, if this proves to be a good design, I would be estatic about not having to change rubber bands ever again.