skydive4play

Reserve size too big?????

>I currently down sized to a 135 and kept my 170 Tempo reserve. Is
> this going to be a problem if I were to ever have a duel
> deployment??

In my experience, dual deployments are a problem period. Having a similar sized main and reserve increases your odds of having a stable configuration slightly; having a large reserve (no matter what size your main or what your deployment situation is) significantly increases your chances of pulling off a safe landing. Given that I'd stick with the 170.

Lately I have been jumping my Sabre 135 with my old Amigo 172 reserve in the same container.
Fortunately, I am good enough at packing that I have never needed my Amigo. I chose the Amigo 172 because I believe that it is the smallest F-111 canopy I can land with my legs intact. Granted, I have stood up the landing on a Triathlon 160, so that may be the size of my next reserve.
Before rushing out to buy a tiny reserve, remember that reserve technology lags a long way behind main technology.

my current container has a tempo 150 and a stiletto 120.....

both chutes out are hassle ...big time...as has been mentioned in other posts the best way to survive it is not to have it happen....correct packing and gear maintenece are the best way to avoid this....

I have no idea what would happen if my main and reserve were out at the same time....more than likley it wouldnt be pretty....but on the other hand they might fly together ok....

flip

I have no idea what would happen if my main and reserve were out at the same time....

I strongly encourage everyone to read the PIA Dual Square Report (http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf)

Here are the conclusions from the report:

1. conclusion: The best way to handle any Dual Square Scenario is to avoid the situation. Use appropriate and available altitude reporting devices to help maintain good altitude awareness. Follow safety regulations on proper opening altitudes. Insure that AAD's are properly maintained and used. Use properly maintained equipment and gear checks.

2. conclusion: Use great care to choose proper equipment. Choose canopies that are not drastically different in size. A general rule of thumb is to choose a reserve that is similar in size to the main canopy.

3. conclusion: If a biplane is present and the jumper has directional control, leave the brakes stowed on the rear canopy and fly the biplane using gentle toggle input on the front canopy. Do not flare either canopy for landing, and be prepared to do a PLF.

4. conclusion: If a side by side is present and the jumper has directional control, fly the side-by-side using smooth, gentle toggle input of the larger/dominant canopy. Do not flare either canopy for landing, and be prepared to do a PLF. If the canopies do not seem controllable, and they are not entangled with each other, disconnect any RSL, if time/altitude permits and cut away the main canopy.

5. conclusion: If a downplane is present, disconnect any RSL, if time /altitude permits, and cutaway the main canopy.

6. conclusion: If the main canopy deploys and the reserve is in a stage of deployment it might be best to aid the deployment of the reserve by shaking the risers. Then be prepared to take action on the resulting configuration. If the reserve opens and the main is in a stage of deployment, it might be best to remove the RSL and cut away the main.

7. conclusion: If a main reserve entanglement should occur, do everything possible to clear the two canopies by pulling on risers and/or toggles. Be cautious about immediately cutting away the main canopy as this may accentuate the problem.

8. conclusion: Additional safety devices, such as AAD's & RSL's, may cause standard emergency procedures to change. Analyze the release recommendations and be sure they coincide with your equipment manufactures guidelines. Practice these new emergency procedures prior to every jump.
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

I have read this stuff before ...and i believe that all the test jumps done were using chutes of similer size ...my point was that i didnt know how my main...stiletto 120 would fly with my reserve ...tempo 150....

point number 1 is the answer...

I have done some tests of dis-simliar sized main/reserves in dual deployment situations. You can do a search to find the results. If I had ti guess, a Stiletto 120 and Tempo 150 would probably fly together OK. Not as nice as a Stiletto 120 and a Tempo 120, but probably OK. I would like to get my hands on some canopies and do some more test jumps.

Hook