jerm

Why hard links?

As i was posting in the slider-bumpers thread, a question occurred to me.

With the advent of modern re-usable soft-links, why use hard links?

Other than student/tandem gear, where you may not want them fscking with the slider, and Mr.bill gear where you may want someone sitting in it, why use hard links?
True they're cheaper than slinks, and they won't fray, but they may nick(bad for lines and risers), rust, or come undone over time.

I'm not condescending or pushing agendas here, i'm just genuinely curious.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I'm old school. I use them because I like the slider to stay above the top of my risers.

Rapide links have been in the sport a lot longer than I have. They rarely fail, and when they do it's generally due to improper assembly or maintainence (which can occur with soft links also).

I see no reason for me to switch.

Jeremy,
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you can take a set of hard links, tighten them properly, mark them, put rubber slider bumpers on them, and forget about them.( ok you should check them on occasion) The next time you mess with them is when you unhook your canopy to get it relined or sell it and get a new one.I also like that my slider stops at the links and doesn't come down until I pull it down, so it doesn't interfere with brakes or risers on opening. I don't have a problem with slinks, but I don't see any reason to run out and buy some to replace my hard links. I'm sure that in a few years when all of the canopy mfgrs. have them as standard equip. on their canopies, we may see hard links go away, or will we? Time and several million more jumps on slinks will tell.
Blue Skies
Tad

I happen to prefer Slinks for several reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that they fit in the container better than a set of bumpers stacked side by side. Soft links have been around for a while (longer than Slinks). Like almost everything in skydiving and life, there are pros and cons, and it usually comes down to personal preference (not always based on rational analysis or facts).

I prefer slinks myself however another reason that some folks like hard links is if you change canopies with any frequency its a lot easier on hard links then the soft.

I technically prefer soft links nowadays, but still keep one of my mains on number 4 Rapides because I switch it out fairly regularly. I don't like the idea of taking slinks on and off more than once or twice.

Still, the newer, modern soft links do make it much easier. My first ones were "permanant" ones that Jimmy Cazer did for me over a decade ago.

Chuck

>but still keep one of my mains on number 4 Rapides because
> I switch it out fairly regularly.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy another set of risers?

Erno

Don't think that would help Chuck too much. It's not that he's switching from one canopy to just one other, he jumps many different canopies at different times.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?