fred

Loose Riser Covers?

I'm jumping a "transition rig" at my dropzone... basically rental gear that's BOC throw-out and smaller than the stuff they put students out on, and the riser covers are weak. They tend to pop open when I'm doing a gear check on the rig, and while I tuck them in as tight as I can, they have a tendency to pop open in freefall.

This is uncomfortable, because when I turn my head left to look at my altimeter I tend to get slapped by them, but is it dangerous. (obviously, I check my alti anyway, and a flapping/whipping riser cover isn't going to deter that)

Can open riser covers cause any problems? I'm mainly doing belly flying/rw at this point, but I'm considering attempting a sit-fly when I'm ready.

The rigger doesn't seem to know what to do about it, so anybody out there have neat tricks to solve this problem?

>Can open riser covers cause any problems?

During a PC in tow, open riser covers can allow the main risers to flop over the reserve, potentially causing a main-reserve entanglement.

Open riser covers can cause premature toggle release, which can cause a spinning mal. It can also cause line extraction and tension knots during deployment.

That thing is dangerous

People.. try a bit of middle ground...

There are TSOed rigs out there with NO riser covers at all. There not the newest things, or the best things to have for FF but to call this rig dangerous?
Remster

>There are TSOed rigs out there with NO riser covers at all.

There are TSOed rigs made of cotton webbing, without main pilot chutes, and that use pin and cone closing systems that jam regularly. a TSO just means it meets a standard; it does not mean it is safe to jump. Riser covers perform an important safety function, and jumping without them (or with poor ones) decreases your margin of safety.

Riser covers perform an important safety function, and jumping without them (or with poor ones) decreases your margin of safety.

Except for CReW.;) I like to have mine undone along with the main flap just before exit time.:S

This was happening to me ALL the time on student gear and on rental, usually when jumping a Talon2 (what is it with these tiny tabs that pop out all the time)? It happened on old and brand new gear.

I stopped worrying about it because I only did belly and the packtray was always supertight but I can see how it "might" cause a horseshoe. I never did notice the risers coming out when I turned my back, though... just the tuck tab flappin' away.

Time to max out a credit card and get a rig!

The problem is the riser cover flapping or the risers coming out necissarily, its the toggle and brake line coming out. That could wrap around you in some nasty nasty ways that would make the next few seconds of your life very exciting to say the least.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oh, if modern jumpers could only experience the old
reefing systems, packing methods and complex cutaway / reserve systems of the 60's & 70's...
They would understand how far the industry has advanced.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish