drenaline

How to clean the rig?

Hey Alan, Lisa and any other skydiver (rigger is much better) can tell me how to clean and the tips for cleaning the skydiving equipment without hurting it?(from jumpsuit to any other thing that you use in skydiving equipment)

I ask this cause from a thread that I read from Alan it said about cleaning the cable, from another thread I read (can't remember when and who) it said how to clean the container, from another thread (same deal, sorry peps for not writing your nicks or names) it said how to clean the canopy and would like to have all the cleaning tips in one thread not all over the place.

Thanks.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Okay, I'll start - but cuz I'm first I get the easy one ;)

Jumpsuit - Treat stains with your favorite stain remover. Machine wash, cold water. Hang on a hangar to dry - do not machine dry! Do this often and you'll find fewer people shrinking away from you on the plane.

Actually, my suit's (Tony Suit) instructions are to take from the washing machine and put in dryer on cool setting (air fluff works well) - can not let it sit/soak or drip dry since the colors can run. So far it's worked for me.

As for washing instructions - all good, but you might also want to select the 'delicate' cycle.

Cheers,
CanEHdian

>tips from the rigging staff at RWS:
>
>http://www.relativeworkshop.com/rigging/washing.htm

That's pretty much the way I've heard people cleaning their gear. It goes without saying that you should disconnect the main before washing the container, but disconnecting the reserve can be a good idea too(which of course requires a master rigger).

The reason for this is that the reserve risers and lines can "suck" the soapwater into the canopy even if the canopy itself is in a plastic bag. I don't think mild soapwater would damage the canopy, but somehow washing your reserve just doesn't feel right...

Erno

*** but disconnecting the reserve can be a good idea too(which of course requires a master rigger).

#1 : you do not have to be a master rigger to disconnect a reserve.
#2 : disassemble the entire rig , wash the harness with soap and water , hang up to dry , reassemble it. any rigger can do it.

"Trust your Rigger with your Life , but not your Beer or your Wife !"

Rigging Innovations or any gear manufacturer will give you good instructions for washing your gear if you ask or get a copy of a manual......altough not all have gear cleaning instructions. They may vary. At repack time have your rigger completely disassemble the rig. Then take it into the bath tub with you and use a mild detergent like Woolite...avoid anything with bleach whiteners. Then play rub a dub dub in the tub and have a soft bristle brush to scrub and scrub. Apply soap directly to tougher stains. Warm water. Then rinse and rinse and squeeze and rinse some more. Be sure to change the water for rinsing. Walk on it, sit on it and hug it and squeeze it and love it. After a VERY thorough rinsing, squeeze it and pat it between towels to dry. Then hang it in front of a fan to dry thoroughly. Wipe the hardware dry and apply a little WD-40 or what I prefer.....food grade silicone spray lubricant. Wipe it so there is no excess residue. Some will then do a Scotch Guard job....I don't bother but some swear by it. Have your rigger reassemble when you are sure it is thoroughly dry. This is also a good time to clean the inside of the cable housings (use a flexible .22 caliber gun cleaning kit with that food grade silicone spray) and ckeck for any tacking that may be coming untied.
alan

Wipe the hardware dry and apply a little WD-40

FWIW, I recently heard that WD-40 is actually a corrosive from an airplane mechanic. I'm not sure as to the truth of it because I have used it for a long time, but it's something to consider...

--
Hook high, flare on time

>#1 : you do not have to be a master rigger to disconnect a reserve.

I stand corrected. Things are of course a bit different in the USA than in Finland...

Here, our closest thing to a Senior Rigger("kalustomestari", translates as "gear master", LOL) gets to do anything with the main and the parts of the container concerning the main.

To work on the reserve, parts of the container concerning the reserve, or the harness you have to be a "laskuvarjotarkastaja" (translates as "parachute inspector"), which is pretty much the same as the US master rigger.

Erno

I concur. Can someone post cleaning for a canopy? I'm curious about how one would go about cleaning a canopy that has been exposed to salt water or intense salt spray from being on the coast too long. Surely the salt and sand crystals would cause the fabric to weaken over time.

Pictures would be nice. :)

There was a couple of cutaways when we jumped in marathon. Basically all they did was rinse it off a bunch of water from the hose, laid it out to dry and then flew it on the ground for a little while in the wind to dry out the inner cells all the way. Just hose it down for awhile and make sure you get all the cells and it should be ok.

Let the canopy dry in the shade. A soft bristle brush will remove most dirt/mud after it is dry. Wiping affected areas with a damp cloth can clean some more away, same with the lines. I think most canopy fabrics are "sized" or preshrunk. I don't believe the tapes or lines are though. Some pond swoopers believe that a dunk or several is no big deal if you let the canopy dry in the shade or just jump it dry. Maybe they are right, but any canopy I have seen go for a swim is not in the same trim as before. Some are affected more, some less. Atair had a demo canopy out that was slamming people on opening, Dan attributed it to having seen a lot of time in the pond and it was therefore badly out of trim. Atair canopies within manufacturers specs do not open hard. Chuck, who jumps Atair canopies and has experience dunking them and then jumping them, has posted that he sees no real ill effect on the performance, if my memory is serving me correctly. My canopies never see more than a light wiping with a damp cloth.
alan