Slappie

Slinks or Bumpers

I know it's been asked before and I'm too lazy to look.

I can buy some slider bumpers for $4 a set or spend $25 for a set of PD-Slinks

What do you think. My main is a Sabre170 on mini ring risers. The slider tends to come all the way down past the main conection location and I've been either pushing it back up over the toggles or pulling it all the way down and stowing it behind my head.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Depends. Do you want to pull the slider down behind your head or do you want it to stay up above the links? Adding bumpers will keep the slider up there; changing to Slinks will allow the slider to come down easier and faster.

So now your saying I can use Slinks and add slider bumpers too?

Ok I like to fly both ways. I mean with the slider above the risers and the slider down behind my head. So I think I will go with the slinks in the long run it sounds like they have more choices in the way I can stow the slider in flight.

Thanks..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

>Even if you use bumpers, slinks are rumored to be stronger/safer
>than metal connectors, so you may want to think about adding both.

I have never heard of anyone using both. The purpose of slider bumpers is to prevent the slider grommets from being dented/worn by the metal links; this is not an issue with soft links. Are you referring to something to keep the slider above the links? If you try to use standard silicone or vinyl bumpers, they may slide right past the links along with the slider, causing you even more troubles.

If you think you will swap canopy/riser combos often, it may behoove you to stick with links since they are easier to unmate/mate. If not, and you want to collapse and stow your slider more easily, slinks may be a better idea.

Are you referring to something to keep the slider above the links?

That's what I was thinking. If you prefer to keep the slider from coming all the way down couldn't you add stops even with slinks? From what I've read slinks are stronger so just seemed natural to me to also put them on even if you don't want to pull the slider down past them.

P.S. The line "you may want to think about" was meant to convey that I'm not endorsing anything, it's pure speculation on my part. I have slinks but not stops. Bill has much more knowledge regarding this stuff than me.

I have metal links and the slider comes down over the bumpers lickity split. At the time I bought the canopy I went for the bumpers to save the money. A rigger friend had a bunch of bumpers just sitting around and gave me some. $0 vs $25 was an easy decision for me.

dove

I'm going to get some bumpers right now. Slinks are in the future. I think if I want to slow the riser behind my head I can still do it. We'll see.

Thanks for the thoughts guys and gals B|:)

LOL - well, I have an extra set of slinks and 2 extra sets of reserve slinks.... I saw this thread last night and was going to offer them up to you cheap, but was informed to hold onto them in case "she" changes her mind and wants them after all. LOL Ahh well, I don't blame her! :ph34r:

Then why did you even post to the thread if you weren't going to offer them to me? sheeeesh I'm a poor man :S I need to get all the bargains I can!!