mountainman

how to attach a Jack Knife...

Hey alls. I was just reading the hook knife thread and had a question. I didn't want to be accused of an attempted hi-jacking, so I thought I would make this.
Laura and I bought Jack Knives last January from SkyKat, but I didn't realize they were so damn HUGE. I am wondering if anyone has any clever ideas on how to attach them to your rig for everyday jumping or if I'm screwed.
I emailed them yesterday to see if I can return them because I just cannot find a place to put them. If you know of a good place/way to put it that isn't intrusive, please let me know how and if you could attach a picture or two, that would ROCK.
Thank you all very much!! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

Crew doggies will generally mount them horizontally on their chest straps....
RW ers put them in a patch pocket on the front of their thigh.
I 've seen them stashed in leg straps between the outer fabris, and thestrap itself (a sheath is a must in this instance for obvious reasons.....)
I've seen them mounted on main lift webs by S/L frog chuckers, adjacent to res handles, which I don't like....
Generally if its below your waist mount it so you pull the beast upwards, above your waist, mount them so you pull downwards to get em out.
I don't know if you got sheaths with yours, these make mounting the things relatively straightforward, you can get a rigger to make one for you...
Sorry, no snaps.....
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

Thanks for the info, dude! They did come with the shealths. I tried to find some places on the leg straps for them, but they don't seem to fit very well into them. Perhaps I'll try again.
Oh yeah...any pictures would be great for me to see exactly "how" they go on/in. Thanks! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

OK.....here is one picture (attached) that has one option as far as the leg strap goes. It is in that small pocket, however it is not deep as you can see. If this is the set-up you are suggesting, how would you secure that top part of the sheith to the leg strap.
Option two is on the next post...it is slid down the leg strap along with the harness itself. This does not seem to be very good as it is pretty far in there.
Thanks guys!! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

Option B (2) is what I've seen before the sheath is tacked onto the strap cover to secure it. You may want to modify the lanyard so that you can access it easier. It feels funky to start with but you soon get used to it.
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

I've seen them tacked to the cordura.
NB this is not my favourite knife (for a big knife -CRW-I use a divers net knife which takes scalpel blades-don't get much sharper than that), or its position.....I prefer to mount (knives this size anyway) them on my jumpsuit thigh. I currently use a small aluminium one mounted on my leg strap at the hip ring.
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

Hey Chuck....I think it would be great to put it on my suit, but we only have RW suits and we dont wear them very much since we are liking the whole freefly thing. And when we do that, we usually open high. I love flying my canopy and playing with it for about 5,000' before landing.
Anyway, when I'm not wearing my RW suit (most of the time), I am wearing something different all the time. When you say they put it horizontally on the cheststrap, how do they get it to stay there? Is it sewn on? Is the sheath converted?
Thanks for the help dude!!! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

update: i am going to be sending back these knives and ordering some Happy Hooker knives. They are all metal and very sharp and much smaller. They will be better to have I believe and wont be extremely intrusive. Perhaps when we have some good freefly suits, we'll sew them on there.
Thanks again for everyone's help! :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.