Scratch

Progressively slower openings

I have a 'problem' which has been puzzling me and maybe somebody here can help out.
I jump a 170 canopy, a South African brand called a ZP made by Chute Shop.
It has approximately 180 jumps on it of which I have put on about 160. I bought it when it had 15 jumps or so on it.
I load it at 1,1 to 1.
The problem is this. When I originally bought the canopy it used to tend toward hard openings. After experimenting with the pack job I found a method that worked well and have not deviated from it since.
However the canopy has recently started to snivel and it is getting worse.
This weekend I cut the pocket off my slider after having one opening snivel for over 1000ft and another where the slider stayed up the lines to the start of the cascades, keeping the 4 outer cells collapsed, until it was 'pumped' down using the brakes.
The openings are now back to 'normal'. What is bothering me is that this seems to be a progressive problem and there is no guarantee that it will not re-occur even with the pocketless slider.
One of our local riggers checked the canopy out and confirms that everything appears to be in order. His only worry was that the slider appeared to be a little large but could not explain the progression from hard to soft openings.
Short of sending the canopy back to the manufacturers are their any checks I can do with respect to slider size, trim, etc?
I wish the real world
would just stop hassling me
~~~matchbox20

It could be, mine knocked the wind out of me on occasion when it was very new.
They have a reputation for being rather strict disciplinarians:D, hence the pocket slider as standard.
How many jumps does he have on it?
I wish the real world
~~~matchbox20

you should contact the manufacturer to describe your problem and get a line specification chart.
then check your line dimensions.
also note that 'pumping' your brakes to inflate end cells is not as effective as a slow deep flare and if your slider is stuck substantially up try evenly leaning on rear risers.
sincerely,
dan
atair

I haven't jumped a ZP, but had a similar experience on a Sabre. I shared the chute with a friend and it opened hard at first and I wouldn't jump it. Then over 100+ jumps it softened and I would use it again. The packing technique changed with the opening chacteristics. From Psycho with a tail roll and nose stuff, to just tail roll and nose stuff. Then a a Pro pack with the slider out front and center cell out front. Now my buddy cut a circle in the center of the slider! It's strange...
You might want to think about a slider mod or some BASE mods!!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Ok, so my new gear is on its way, will be here in 2 weeks. I've got a 170 ZP EXE. And now you're telling me that I'm in for hard openings?
I don't know how you work out the wing loading, or if it's got anything to do with the openings. Help would be appreciated? And what is Physco pack?
Don't THINK you can, KNOW you can...;)

Hi Storm
For your wingloading. Take your weight in kilograms. Add 10 to 12 kilos for your gear and multiply the whole lot by 2,2 to give your weight out of the door in pounds.
Divide the weight in pounds by your canopy size in square feet, in this case 170. That will give you your wingloading in pounds per square foot.
As for the ZP. Pucker up they open nice and positive.
I have always pro-packed mine, just push the nose in nice and deep to start with and roll the tail. It was when I did not do this that it spanked me.:D Oh and try not to dump in the middle of a track:S
I wish the real world
~~~matchbox20

Is it new?? NEW ZP??? I fully recommend a packer, its a pain to pack that thing. I have a spectre 150 bought it with 50 jumps and it is a pain to pack that thing, it kept inflating, I was gonna learn psycho pack but I read of other people posts that it shortens the life of your canopy, so I kept with my normal pro-pack.
If you have hard openings, you can roll the nose and some cells, but better ask someone who knows how to do it to teach you, and remember to have a good body position when you pull (track, headdown, sit, will hurt).
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

The openings are now back to 'normal'. What is bothering me is that this seems to be a progressive problem and there is no guarantee that it will not re-occur even with the pocketless slider.

Had a similar thing happen to me and I talked to my rigger. He checked my kill-line pilot chute and determined the kill-line needed replaced. He said the same thing could happen if you don't fully untangle the kill-line from the retaining line. When you cock your p/c, what is taut inside, the line or the tapes? If it isn't the tapes, you may need the kill line replaced.
flyhiB|

Hi there guys.
For those of you wanting to know about the PC, it is fine. When cocked the kill line is a little longer than the tapes.
All other aspects conform to Bills parameters.
The initial deployment is fine from pitch till the canopy comes out of the D bag. It is then when the trouble starts. The canopy partially inflates and then kind of 'pauses for thought'.
No twisting or spinning, all nice and on heading the problim is that it is just so damn s l o w.
I wish the real world
~~~matchbox20