Lindenwood

11 Jumps in: doing my first coached jump this weekend; any tips on "diving?"

Hello, Ive been reading this forum and the articles pretty aggressivelely for the last ~6 weeks, just getting a feel for all the theory and all the things there are for me to learn). I graduated AFF a few weeks ago and did 3 solo jumps last weekend just working on stability, loops, rolls, exits, etc, not to mention canopy control. I was planning on going this weekend for jumps 12-14, with the first being a practice run, the 2nd being my first 3500 hop-and-pop, and the 3rd being a coached jump.

Specifically, the DZO said he wants me to work on diving after and docking with the coach to develop that skill before jumping with others.

Any tips on diving? I have a pretty good grasp on how to increase my fall rate, but any suggestions and tips I can start thinking about, and that will give me a direction when asking my instructors, would be good.

I just dont want to burn up all my altitude doing it incorrectly, or accidentally track a hundred feet away trying to dive, or whatever. Also, am I correct in assumig he would exit the plane a second or so ahead of me?

Thanks.
Weeeee!

am I correct in assumig he would exit the plane a second or so ahead of me?

Yes.

Beyond that, hold off on any 'training' until it's provided by the coach you're going to jump with. Your coach will have access to your logbook and presumably the AFFI's you've jumped with, and they will have the best idea of how to train you for the given jump.

Every DZ uses a slightly different method of training students. Some use different terms, some use different dive flows, etc, so in the end your best bet is to keep it all 'in house' and go with the program they're presenting.

Once you get a license, and are 'on your own', by all means shop around for thoughts or ideas on how to figure stuff out. There's no chance that you'll pick up advice that will be contraty to your coach, as there will be no coach.

Of course, in your early days 'on your own' avoid trying anything too far from the 'norm' without running it past a coach or AFFI at your DZ. A lot can be lost in the translation when reading the written word, and it would suck for you to make a jump based on a misunderstanding of something you read or were told online. Get some 'real world' approval before moving forward with just about anything for your first 50 or 100 jumps. You'll pick up a lot of 'common sense' during that time, and will be better at seperating the bull from the shit.

Oh I have absolutely been running things by them before trying anything for that exact reason :) . But, they have been very supportive of my researching and have clarified many things Ive read and even told me things not to worry about yet or that aren't possible or effective with student gear (like front-riser dives after I started reading about canopy control). I was just wondering if there are any particular things I could start thinking about (that I would then run by my instructors / coaches), just because I like having time to mentally rehearse before they are just like "do this, this, and this, now let's hop on the plane!" heh. (not that they are rushing or anything, but a day of consideration is preferred over half an hour :) ). The AFFIs were good about telling me the dive flow of the next dive before Id leave, specifically so I could think about and rehearse them on my own.

But so far, without more practice and no reference point, the method would be to just initiate the dive like a track by bending at the waste, and then using my shoulders to keep pointed in the right direction? My GF and I were discussing it with me (she is at the same point I am in the progression) and that is the best we could come up with, heh.

Thanks again for the encouragement!
Weeeee!

The swoop to dock skill is usually broken up into 2 jumps but like Dave said, each DZ can teach it differently.

The basic concept is...

The first jump will be more like a stair step movement so you will speed up, go to neutral then go forward and go to neutral. Repeat. You should try to end up on level with your coach and 5-10 feet away and then do a final forward motion to dock.

On the second jump you smooth those two movements into one. Just remember you need to stop the down and forward motions before you dock so you don't overshoot your coach or plow into him.

As with all other advice on here be sure to talk to your instructor (or coach).

Good luck.

There's nothing magic about it. I suspect your instructors will not have any issues teaching you on it.;)

relax and just go jump with your coaches - it's silly to solicit this level of advice on an internet board

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Good going getting to this point. From here, it just gets easier and more fun. I wanted to elaborate on the reason you get vague responses to this type of question on DZ.com.
The people who post here want you to do well, and they know that the best way to do that is follow your instructors advice. The phrase in your post about things to be thinking about is what caught my attention. You really don't want to over-think this stuff. Keeping your mind clear and relaxed is a big part of success. You can't pour more water in a bowl that's already full. Get your instructor's briefing for the jump you're about to do, do it, and have fun.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

We went to the DZ yesterday and, while we didnt get to jump due to a big group of tandems showing up before us and it being too hot to load a 5th jumper (on the few loads without cameraflyers), we did get to chat with several coaches about diving and quickening ones fall rate for catching up to a lower jumper. Made a lot of sense!

Thanks for the responses!
Weeeee!

There you go. See, told ya they'd tell ya. B|

Now for some internet instruction:

Push down with your feet to go forward. The more you push, the more you go.
Pull your feet up and push forward with your hands to slow down/go backwards.

Use your upper body to control your fall rate (up and down relative to the other jumper).
Arch your arms and shoulders back, stick your chest out to fall faster.
Push down on the air and arch less to fall slower.

That's the beginning basic way I teach to dock. It's a simple way to start that will get refined as you progress. Is it similar to what they taught you.

Haha yeah I knew they would, I just wanted an idea of what to expect :) .

Thanks for the info! I understood the theory on general fallrate adjustments and basic horizontal motions (turns and forward / backeard). I was just worried if I didnt learn how to safely make more drastic fallrate adjustments Id waste the whole freefall trying to catch up, heh.
Weeeee!