hobbes4star

wing loading

Divide your exit weight by the size of your canopy. If you don't know your exit weight a close guesstiment is your normal weight plus about 25-30lbs.
Example, Me: 275lbs exit weight \ 190 sq ft Canopy = 1.45:1 loading.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

The equation is Exit weight (you, and all yoru gear, including your container) divided by the square footage of your canopy. If I step on a scale with all my gear, the scale reads 225lbs (no fat jokes please......ha ha ha), my canopy is a 120 squ ft, so by that 225/120=1.875. Now that said, that calc is just the basic equation, some canopy manufacturer use a different method to calculate loading based on the canopy's size or shape, (Safire's for instance). Plus, if you look at a PD 126 reserve, it's listed as 126 sq ft, but when inflated, it's 137 sq ft. Hope that helps/
"I live to EFS"
Tom

Re: "For a first rig, you want a 1:1 or a 1.1:1 loading."
Just an observation, but there isn't anything wrong with jumping a canopy under a 1.1 wingloading for beginners, it's actually considered safer by most if the instructors I know. I'm not an expert, I only have 475 jumps (all made in the last 20 months), but I have jumped everything from a student 300sq ft canopy loaded 0.75, to my current canopy loaded 1.875. Not trying to be a flame, but I don't think a jumper with 70 jumps should be making a blanket statement about wingloading recommendations for beginners, especially a statement that is not accurate. 1.1 loaded canopy can maim you just as easily as a 1.7 loaded canopy.
"I live to EFS"
Tom

Every canopy can hurt. I know this. I'm just stating what is usually said when people ask "what loading should I get for my first rig" etc. People usually jump the smallest canopies they feel safe with now. There are people with thousands of jumps who fly larger canopies than what I fly now (a 170). eg. I think Bill Booth jumps a 170 or a 190.
Danger could be my middle name. But it's Paul. :P

>Just an observation, but there isn't anything wrong with jumping a canopy under a
> 1.1 wingloading for beginners, it's actually considered safer by most if the
>instructors I know.
Agreed. While 1:1 is a good limit for some experience ranges, there is nothing wrong with going lighter. You will lose some penetration ability, but will gain forgiveness, sinkability and ability to stop yourself in no-wind conditions.
-bill von

By the time I owned my first canopy I had over 65 jumps on rental gear. I jumped MANY different canopies. By that time I was very in tune to landing any canopy I was flying.. Besides I have ALLWAYS put the most energy into landing parachutes..
I started with a Triathlon at 1.25.. For me that was perfect.. I could sink it straight down without my feet stinging.. It was an awesome place to start..
1.25 was a good medium between forgiveness and control.. I was in between the canopy flying me and me flying the canopy if you know what I mean..
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)