RTB

Storing of slider

This came up as a question reading the thread "collapsing your slider". I always secure my slider behind my neck with a velcro fastener on the suit. It is not held very hard. I have never had to cut away but wonder if anyone has any experience of this, has it ever happened that the canopy dosn't come loose?
René

I don't know if one has, what bothers me is that the possibility exists. Why attach it if you don't have to? If the possibility doesn't bother you, keep doing it! It's still a sport of personal freedom, and things tend to get 'what if'ed' to death. Still the possibility is there.
I'm not the man they think I am at home, no;
I'm a rocket man.
Sky World

>I always secure my slider behind my neck with a velcro fastener on the suit. . . .
>has it ever happened that the canopy dosn't come loose?
Yes. A jumper at Perris was either severely injured or killed several years back when he could not break away from his main due to the slider being stowed on his suit. It is a consideration.
-bill von

Also, couple of years ago, Valery Rosov's (ESPN skysurfing champion) cameraman died in a slider related accident. From what I heard, he had Type 17 risers and probably no slider bumpers. He had a fast opening, slider came down with a lot of speed, past his links, toggles, and landed on his face distracting him. He could not get rid of that slider on his face. The canopy was in turn (the toggle must have been dislodged) and he hit the ground turning some 25 seconds later.
That is why I want a slider *not to be able* to come down past my links. Since I want to use Slinks too, I guess my only option is using Type 8 risers. That, in result, would make me use large 3-rings (Type 8 and small rings are not recommended, since in the event of horseshoe mal, if your PC is still in pouch and you cutaway, the *wider* Type 8 webbing will not release so easily from 'narrow' mini harnes ring, when exposed to relative wind. Something like that was shown in Time Out commercial in the 'Breakaway' video. Billy Weber cuts away a horseshoe and ...nothing. He had to hit risers with his hands to release them from harness rings).

Slider-catchers.
The answer is slider-catchers.
Slider-catchers are little ratchet type devices sewn to your front risers just above the crotch. When you pull your slider down, it hooks under the slider-catchers and stays there until you have both hands free to un-hook it.