FallRate

Rigging Innovations "Genera"

Is this system for sale anywhere. I haven't been able to find a dealer online that carries them and the RI site isn't letting me on.
The rig is advertised as an affordable model for those just off student status. But the design looks very much like the Voodoo. Anyone know anything about these? It looks like a nice rig.
FallRate

Prepare yourself for a biased, insider review.
When I was working for Rigging Innovations in 1994 to 1997, I helped Sandy Reid develop the Genera, Aviator, Talon 2 and Telesis 2 harness/containers. Most of the time my input was limited to test-packing prototypes and saying things like "Sandy, we really should make this flap 3/8" wider." I also made a couple of jumps on a Genera prototype and was fortunate (?) to help with the TSO C23D heavy-weight, high speed drop tests.
The Genera is a fixed-price, fixed-options, fixed-colors, fixed-price rig that competes directly with the Dolphin. Fortunately the Genera has better pin covers and riser covers than the Dolphin. Though I have to admit that Dolphin riser covers have improved over the years.
The Genera has the same pin cover as the Voodoo, which is slightly better than the Talon 2. The only reason I don't have a Genera is that it does not have harness rings. Though frankly, a propely-sized Genera harness is so comfortable ...
The only reason that there are not more Generas out that is that they hit the market after the market peaked.
Generas are nice, simple, solid, safe rigs that get you in the air for a low price. The only disadvantage is that you can order a black Genera or a black Genera. The most beautiful thing about the Genera is its price, you have enough money left over to buy jump tickets. In the long run, number of jumps is more important in keeping you alive than shiny colors.

Rigs & Things Paraservice (http://www.para-service.com/) has the Genera container either separately or as part of the "Affordable Rig" they sell. I am very seriously considering this container for my first new rig as I have heard nothing but praise for it and would like to have some money to jump with after the rig is purchased.

As Rob says there a good looking rig for an affordable price.
The riser covers are great and the velcroless toggle keepers are very good also.
I have 2 Genera(ie)(s). :-)
I have Tempo 170 reserves and the smallest they'll make the Voodoo last I heard was for a 150 reserve.
You can mix and match the container/reserve/main canopy selection if you want another main than what RI offers.
All in all it's hard to beat.
I'd call RI and talk to them (520) 466-2655.
Red, White and Blue Skies,
John T. Brasher D-5166

>In the long run, number of jumps is more important in keeping you alive than shiny colors.
That is absolutely, patently wrong. How do you look in front of the opposite sex is the single most important thing in our lives. Damn - in ANY form of animal life.
I would refuse to wear badly color coordinated clothes even if I am to climb solo on Buffin Island. Same for jumping with an ill looking parachute. It will drain your male energy and make your life useless. You will darwin out. Cease to exist. Your parrot will be no more.
Admit it - 75% of skydiving, heck, of ANY "extreme" sport, is fashion show - even when the chicks do not see you, you keep recharging your mojo..

Rob,
I have heard that the Voodoo is an incredibly comfotable rig, but there is no way I am going to go with something that small. Seeing as the Genera looks so much like the Voodoo, it would make sense that the Genera is also very comfortable. This wouldn't be my first rig, just looking into a possible container change.
The downside to the Genera would seem to be that with so few sizing options I might have a tough time fitting a 229 maina and 282 reserve into it properly.
FallRate

if your worried about mismatched sizes between your main and reserve making your rig look out of preportion, try a Wings container. A friend of mine had one made for him with a Tempo 250 , and a Icarus 119.looks really good, by looking at it you cant tell were the reserve ends and the main begins when its closed.

The largest reserve size recommended for a Genera is 550 cubic inches. I will have to check the RI/PIA volume chart at work to see which size of Tempo that will fit.
Ignore volume numbers published by canopy manufacturers.

I'm surprised more people don't buy the Genera over the Dolphin, what is the largest Optimum Reserve you could fit?

I'm surprised more people don't buy the Genera over the Dolphin

I'm surprised more people don't buy a Racer 2k3 Shadow (all black rig, no options, extremely well-priced) over the Dolphin as well...
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

I'm surprised more people don't buy a Racer 2k3 Shadow (all black rig, no options, extremely well-priced) over the Dolphin as well...

Para-service sells Wings with 30% off ($1400) base. I recently got quoted for shadow 2k3 and it was the same price as articulated wings. Take in consideration that you have to buy 2 pin AAD that cost about 150-200 more.

You are preaching to the choir here, a lot of people here on the west coast like to jump a wings that wont open a flap at 300 miles per hour or reserve flap at 60. Sick hunh?

Racer will ALWAYS open in a jam, cool kids should not apply!

It all depends on what you want out of a rig, what your budget is and what kind of skydiving you plan to do. I think it's kind of funny how many people like to chime in on here and in the industry who all like to talk shit about the dolphin rigs like there nothing but junk, when that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Frankly I think wings rigs are a hunk of shit and I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for one let alone 1400. Way better rigs on the market for that kind of equipment, IMHO.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Mine is a 96 and fairly low SN number, has Velcro instead of snaps on risers, still has the OMP BOD on it and it looks pretty much like it did out of the box in 96. It's been back to the factory for couple upgrades, all for free I might add, when I sent it back to upsize harness.

Is it as built as my Jav.... no, but it way more comfortable then my Jav.

Bottom line here is, if you take care of um, like any rig, you will get your monies worth out of it. It was designed as a low budget, starter rig or for those of us who don't give a shit about stainless and articulated HC's.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo