lippy

Alti Mod

Hi All, I just got my new container, along with an alti I ordered. When I ordered the alti I told the guy at the order desk I just wanted 'something that'll tell me where I'm at'
I should have specified that it should be hand or wrist mount, cause I got a chest mount. It's an "Altimaster II" with a screw at each corner holding the mounts on the back. I'm wondering if there is some place that sells straps that can replace the chest mount with a hand mount. Anybody know?
It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauama
Lippy

keep this in mind. that calibration knob on your alti II, can get bumped and knocked out of calibration in the plane, doing RW, or anywhere else because of it's exposure. i found out when my alti II had shown 1000' and i realized "no way in hell". after sliding in hard, it's now showing 400'. i got bumped doing a pro/am rookie challenge. i now have an alti III on my wrist and the alti II stays in the bag, until i get a chest mount. lesson learned.

Roger,
Did you try jumping the chest mount? I guess I'm a little bit old school on this because I've been jumping chest mounts since we mounted them to our gut hangers, but when everyone jumped alti-II's with chest mounts doing RW , you could almost always see someones alti across the formation without looking down or over at your wrist. But the best thing is to jump what your comfortable with. Just my .02.
Blue Skies
Tad

I was jumping a chestmount alti II for years, and if what you do is small RW, I feel its the best position, as long as your RW partners do the same. It gives you good visibility of the other's altis. Also, a chestmount is the best place to have an alti during tracking.
That being said, I changed to a wrist mount about a year ago.. almost all my jumps now are biggish RW jumps, and most people wear theirs on the wrist, hence, I cant see anybody elses.
I dont use it during tracking anymore, I time myself instead, but thats something that comes with expereince.
You can mod the alti II yourself for wristmount if you want.... just buy some elatic fabric strips used for sewing, and attach loops to the holes on the corners of the alti. I'll try to take a pic of my setup and post it here.
And as far the knob getting knocked / rubbed and de-ajusting the alti, hasnt happened to me in 800 jumps with an alti II
Remster
Muff 914

Bungee cord.
The answer is bungee cord.
Take two pieces of bungee cord.
Route them through the holes in the corners of your Alti ll.
Tie one cord so is snug around your wrist.
Tie the second cord so that is snug around two or three fingers.
If you can't tie knots, tie lots! Ha! Ha!
One of our instructors has been doing this for years.

forgot to mention that my alti II was on my wrist when i got bumped. between myself and the other rookie on that jump, we had less than 60 jumps between us. i am not the most graceful person in the air, which is explains the bumping. gettin' better all the time.