steellex

Advice from Heatwave users.

I have over a 100 jumps on a Hornet 170 and have the intention to move on to a Heatwave 150. However, my chief instructor, who had jumped a Heatwave 135 before, advises me not to. He mentioned that on numerous occasions, the Heatwave he jumped became unstable especially in cross wind landings. Also, he insists that the canopy material will deteriorate before I can get 500 jumps on it. He suggests a Stiletto 150 instead. Has anyone experienced the problem of canopy instability during cross wind landings? And will the canopy last 500 jumps? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Howdy,
I jump a hw 150 and LOVE IT!! I have landed it crosswind and downwind with no problems what so ever. I have never seen it buckle or calapse at slow speed. And as far as the fabric goes it seems to be the same fabric used on the Tri's, Diablo's , and cobalts. Maybe some one can tell me if they are diff. Just curious what will you be loading it at? mine is at 1.56 flyes great. here is a pic

I had a heatwave 170, loaded at 1.35, for about 110 jumps. I think it was a great canopy. No instability, I landed it crosswind and downwind on many/most jumps (better surf). The fabric is the same zp used in diablos, hornets, triathlons. There are many of these canopies out there with more than 500 jumps (maybe more than 1000) that are still in good shape.
Try before you buy, then you'll know!

I bought a heatwave with 400 jumps on it and it flies like a dream! Zero P is Zero P. Can't wait to get back on it!

Zero P is NOT Zero P. The duPont fibre with the Gelvenor coating is significanlty different the fabic used by Aerodyne and Pisa.
The duPont Gelvenor combination is used by PD, and Precision. You can expect the fabic on these canopies to retain it's zero perosity for MUCH longer. This won't affect the canopy while you're flying it, it should easily outlast anything you'll do with it, but it will affect the resale price.
The duPont fabric is one of the reasons PD canopies have good resale values.
The flipside is that the fabric used by Pisa and Aerodyne is MUCH easier to pack when new. After jumping Aerodyne fabric almost exclusively, I'm still struggling to pack my Stiletto...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

The Gelvenor coating only affects the lifespan of the canopy, but not the performance in flight, rite

Right. Sort of. The Aerodyne and PISA fabric will wear out quicker, and it's flight characteristics will be different when it's worn out. When they're new, there's no difference.

I was told also that an old ZP canopy can be sent for re-coating. If this is true, where can I find such services?

I've never seen these services offered... Maybe the canopy manufacturer can have it done? I dunno. It is certainly not a common procedure. Most people ditch their canopy at this point.
_Am

The Aerodyne and PISA fabric will wear out quicker,

I'd love to know what you base this information on. I owned a Triathlon as a first ZP canopy then bought a Hornet and now a Heatwave. I haven't asked PISA about it. But I did ask Aerodyne. They said that their ZP should and would last just as long as the material PD uses. In fact they felt that it was superier to the ZP that PD uses. There are Triathlons out there with thousands of jumps on them. I know PD has some canopies out there with thousands of jumps on them also. So where did this information that one last longer then the other come from? As far as resale, I think its because PD canopies cost more to begin with. Also PD has been around for a long time and are better known. It has nothing to do with canopy life expectancy.
How about it Cobalt Dan don't you all use the same type of ZP. What is your take on this?

The duPont Gelvenor combination is used by PD, and Precision. You can expect the fabic on these canopies to retain it's zero perosity for MUCH longer.

BULLSHIT....where did you get this info from....if gelvenor was that much better I think every man. would be using it. I have seen Tri's(yes rhino Tri's) with sever thousand jumps and with little to know difference in flare power.....I just dont believe this...and still think you are a PD nazi...one of those that refused to think that anything could possibly be better than a PD product...(not that PD is bad, they are good, but not always the best)...

The duPont fabric is one of the reasons PD canopies have good resale values.

If it is originaly sold for more then yes It will sell for more...But...my hornet was 400-500 cheaper than a sabre 2 and is just as good of a canopy(for what it is intended for).....I think it is a better idea to invest this money in jumps as long as you are not sacrificing on performance or saftey or longevity....(once again, I think you are swayed by the PD Nazi's who think that if it isn't PD it is shit)
I would like to hear Dan's take on this....also what fabric is Brian Germaines stuff made out of??
marc
BSBD

BULLSHIT....where did you get this info from....if gelvenor was that much better I think every man. would be using it. I have seen Tri's(yes rhino Tri's) with sever thousand jumps and with little to know difference in flare power.....I just dont believe this...and still think you are a PD nazi...one of those that refused to think that anything could possibly be better than a PD product...(not that PD is bad, they are good, but not always the best)...

I don't think I'm a PD biggot, I loved my Triathlon, and still can't pack my Stiletto. Aerodyne had excellend customer service, they took great care of me - even did free patches, AND gave me a Diablo while they fixed my Triathlon. Had Aerodyne had a high performance 9 cell I probably would've bought it. When I bought the Stiletto I demoed and considered canopies from every manufacturer, except for the Cobalt because I couldn't get Atair to ship me one. If you asked me objectively who the "best" manufacturer is, I'd probably answer with Big Air Sportz. Unfortunately they're also the most expensive.
I do think the Performance Textiles fabric is better then Gelvenor, but I'd don't think this plays a part in how any of us will use a new canopy - I imagine most of us will get rid of it long before it reaches this point. I do believe that it affects resale value, though.

About 15 years ago there was a rumor going around that said
South African canopies were junk because the fabric used would deteriorate on exposure to human sweat. Does anyone remember that rumor??
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Talk to the PD guys about replacing the center cells on some of there sponsered canopy's due to packer sweat....Bushman said it in his demo at the expo....so it is not just with SA stuff.....take care of your stuff and it will last...Period...
marc
BSBD