Beachbum

Closing loop

I was reading the checklist area, and saw the recommendation that you change out your closing loop on a monthly basis. Can someone roughly translate that into jump numbers for me? Thanks to my ear problem, I often only get 2 jumps in a month, and I know it doesn't need to be changed that often. Yes ... I DO inspect it every time I pack ... just curious.

Its not so much a jump # thing but a look and see type of thing. Look at your closing loop ever time you pack (before you close your container). Is it frayed? If yes, replace, if no, then carry on with your life. :)"Alright, at 4500 lets break it, turn 360 and track away..."

The rule I use is 10% of it's original thickness or whenever I re-pack the reserve. 99% percent of the time I re-pack a reserve I was the last rigger to pack, it still has the closing loop in it I replaced the last time I re-packed the reserve. It definately should be replaced more oftern than every 120 days for the average jumper. I think 50 juumps per loop or 10% of the original thickness, whichever comes first is a pretty good guideline. They are cheap and easy to replace, but could cause a big problem if they break in freefall, so replace them early and oftern.
Derek

I'm replacing mine with um... "non standerd material" the next time its due so look for a report from me at that time about the new material, but I was replacing it every 50-75 jumps, and during the summer that was every 30-45 days. As soon as it starts to fray... its gone.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

The minimum breaking strength for Nylon TY IIA flattened line is 225 lbs. A loop would be 550 lbs. 10% of the loop strength would be 55 lbs. I certainly would not want 90% of my closing loop destroyed!
I 'was' using the tried & proven type IIA coreless-flattened line, (formally called--PC crown line) for closing loops--I now use Spectra 1000--seems much more durable than type IIA Nylon line. (also, pin pulls easier with Spectra)
The following are simple instructions for making a Spectra closing loop.
To make a Spectra closing loop--Use a piece of 1000 lb Spectra that is at least 14" long. Finger trap the line into itself from mid length, (end toward end) and bring the loop size down to about 1" laid flat dimension. (use a wire fid/end loop) 'Milk' the line down with your finger in the loop. A 'tack' at the eye bottom is not needed, as both ends of the line will be secured in the knot.
Use a figure eight knot for the stop knot.
NOTE: Spectra (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene)-(UHMW-PE) has a much lower coefficient of friction than Kevlar, Vectran, HMA, or Nylon.
I guess that's the reason they call it the 'Poor Man's Teflon!'
WARNING: Never withdraw a pull up cord that is between a Spectra closing loop and the pin, as melting of the Spectra closing loop can occur. (Spectra has a melting point around 290°F!-Nylon is 490°F.
The following is an idea I came up with recently for a Spectra pull-up cord that works very good. (MISS) Using 550 lb Spectra, I configure it into a continuous loop that is 17" long laid flat-that's it--you figure out the rest?
Dave Brownell

Visual inspection! - thats all you need - I use a long dual teflon closing pin (much safer for freeflying) and I sometimes only get around 10 to 15 jumps outta my closing loop because of the friction caused by 6 inches of teflon being pulled through my loop - It all depends on closing loop tightness, material, additional information (eg i was told silicon gel helps closing loop life) check it and if questionable - change it.
Just my 2 low pulls worth
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Thanks for all the input! A spare closing loop was shipped with my container, so I'll use it when it needs replacing THIS time. About removing the pullup ... was shown to loop it under the pin so that when I pull, most of the abrasive force is against the pin rather than the loop ... would that not help with the Spectra (also, maybe remove it slowly so as to not build up heat)?

Running your pullup under the pin is standard packing procedure no matter what your closing loop is made of.
Even when you do this, the pullup still rubs against the steel of the pin generating heat. If you don't believe this, place your thumb on the closing pin and pull the pull-up quickly. No burns, but you should feel some heat.
There is also still some contact between the closing loop and pull-up.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Well, I have found that if I can end up with about 1/2 of an inch of the closing loop coming through the last grommet, I can just press my thumb or finger down on the grommet. This keeps the loop from going anywhere, then you can just take the ribbon out (no friction) and put the pin in, and then let up on the pressure with the finger. This method puts practically no wear at all on the closing loop. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

My loop is so tight that it takes both knees on the rig and using leverage to close it so I doubt that will work on mine. ;)
If you have anything over half an inch with out high tension you might need to shorten the loop. I've got my loop sized for a 135 canopy in my rig and am putting a 150 in it.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Yea, don't get me wrong. I gotta yank like a mother to get that much loop left, and more often than not, I can't do it, but it's nice when it does work. I find that beating it down a bit as I string the loop through each grommet helps give me a little extra room to work with.
"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

If you can hold the closing loop with a finger and pull the cord out before the pin goes in, it is way too loose.
I don't know the numbers exactly, but you should have approximately 6-10 pounds of weight on the bridle when the pin is pulled (e.g., picking the bottom of the rig up off the floor). If it is too loose you need to shorten the closing loop. I always replace mine when it is fuzzy or has worn down to about the 90% look.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

I doubt that my closing loop is too loose, cause I have to do all sorts of yanking to get it through all the grommets, but I will ask a more experienced jumper about it, and see how far I can lift the rig with my bridle before the pin comes out, next time I am at the DZ. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

Like Dave Brownell, I have been using Spectra for my main closing loop for several years now. It way outlasts the standard nylon loops. And yes, pull it out slowly to reduce friction heat. Sandy Reid at RI suggested to me a few years back that I should put my thumb over the loop when I pull the pull-up chord out and pull it slow enough that I didn't feel any heat.
alan