HotLoad

Anyone jumping a Nitron?

I haven't seen anyone post anything about the Nitron in a long time. I'm very curious about this canopy, as I plan on purchasing an elliptical in the near future. As is, I have it narrowed down to either a Cobalt or a Crossfire. Any input would be sincerely appreciated.

Well as most of the Nitrons Post are mine, and not much has changed, ill go ahead and bring up what i love about this canopy. I have 60 jumps on my 120 loaded at 1.65:1. I love this canopy, it dives great and has a good recovery arc. It has snappy crisp turns but does not oversteer like some of the other canopies, its sensitive to harness input but not quite as radically as the stilletto. Surfs like a badass. With the HMA lines, even though they do not have cascades is still about 1/2 to 1/4 of what spectra and Vectran Lines are with cascades, they are also (granted no canopy has this many jumps yet) not projected to need a reline until about 800 jumps. And the amazing part is that its slow flight is amazing, its still generateing lift and not collapsing like some other canopies (i was on a safire 119 this last weekend and it did not like slow flight). This canopy i will say is quite amazing and its been in the market now for the past 8 years so you know theyve worked through any kinks in design and it wont be another CrossFire.
Blue Skies
Jonathan
Jonathan Bartlett
[email protected]
D-24876

Call precision, icarus, and atair and demo all three canopies! People will tell you what canopy they like but all that really matters is what feels right to you! I jumped a nitron at 1.6 and a cobalt at 1.6 and bought the cobalt. Or you could come out to skydive atlanta and I will let you jump the cobalt and you could probably convince tim to let you jump his nitron.
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

I have also just begun jumping a Nitron loaded at close to 1.7
It's my first elliptical and I feel entirely comfortable flying it close to the ground.
It's got a good glide and moves pretty quickly. My openings have thus far been a little erratic and I'm hoping that after a little break in they will settle down. I also need to learn to "fly the opening" a little better.
To do harness turns, I really had to twist my legs, simply shifting weight was not quite enough.
The flare and surf are good, although not as good as on the Samurai I tried.
Again, I'm just settling into the proper technique.
The slow flight is definitely a strong point. It's comfortable flying slowly as well as hauling ass at full glide.
At the discount prices Precision is selling them at, they can't be beat.
Also, it's a weird canopy. Not a lot of people are jumping them, and it will draw some stares. The HMA lines are like angel hair pasta. And they don't cascade so there's a bunch more of them at the riser attachment. The winglets on the topskin, and the mesh over the end cells are features that are entirely unique to this canopy.

Apoil : You are jumping your first elliptical at 1.7 loading ? What canopies have you jumped before and at what loadings ? How much jumps do you have ? I mean that 1.7 PSF loading is considered to be expert wingloading and generally it is not considered to be a proper wingloading to a first elliptical. If you previously have few hundreds of jumps under, lets say Sabre loaded at 1.3, and you feel totally comfortable under 1.7 loaded elliptical, then Nitron must be one hell of a canopy! Have you jumped any other ellipticals (Stiletto...) at same loading ? I'd be very interested to hear how Nitron performs compared to them.

I flew a Nitro 88 , load to 2, and my opinion is the following:
Good and straight openings
Easy packing (ZO Gelveanor fabric)
Glide ratio: very flat
Hard front risers pressure
Short arc recovery
Easy landings
The Nitro is not a winner for swoop competitions, it is a very entertaining and safety canopie, for me it is a toy.
roq

I've got over 800 jumps.
I progressed very slowly to this point.
Most recently, I put about 260 jumps on a safire (technically elliptical but only slightly) loaded at about 1.5.
While I didn't entirely "squeeze every drop of performance out of it" I was doing front riser carves and getting a nice swoop out of it and felt perfectly comfortable flying and landing it anywhere both aggressively and timidly.
So I didn't switch to an elliptical at a low wing loading, but I progressed to higher wingloadings very slowly and carefully and then moved to ellipticals. Either way is fine if you think about it.
I demoed a samurai at the same wingloading as my safire for 10 jumps. Sadly it wasn't being offered at 50% off retail. Also at the time of my order I wasn't sure that I wanted to go with airlocks.
The nitron is one of those canopies that supposedly "flies big". So given that I was comfortable under a 135 I went for a 120 Nitron. I don't regret this decision, in fact, I almost feel like I could go a size or two smaller, but I'll wait.
I'm also jumping every single day into a dz with a very large landing area and plenty of big fields as outs. I wouldn't have switched to this canopy under other circumstances.

My friend has a Crossfire 119 and he demo'd a Nitron and said he definetly liked the crossfire better. However, he sent his crossfire to Icarus because of the recall and he has had serious line twists almost on every jump since it came back.

Which raises my next question....Does anyone have any experience jumping Crossfires manufactured after the recall. A friend of mine has put about 40 jumps on his newly manufactured Crossfire, loves it, and has not reported anything out of the ordinary. I personally saw him have a premie at 9k just after transitioning to head down, and although it looked nasty, he said it didn't even make him sore. I jumped a Crossfire 149 this last weekend three times, I definitely want to demo a 139, possibly even a 129. I also plan on jumping a friend's Cobalt 150 soon, although I'll be buying something smaller. The Crossfire I jumped dives well, and had great openings, but I would like a little snappier turns as well as lighter front riser pressures. I didn't get to surf it due to high winds, but was impressed overall. I like the gelveanor(?) material that the Cobalt is made from, packing-wise, and am glad to know that the Nitron is the same. Can anyone who has experience with these canopies give a comparison on front riser pressures and rates of turn? BTW I do plan on ordering demos (except the Nitron, due to no demos available) as soon as I know I'll have time to jump them.

I'm currently jumping a Nitro at a 1.6 wing loading.. I used to jump a Crossfire at the same loading.. In retrospect, I should've gone a size smaller on the Nitro, which would have put me at a 1.8 wing loading - the Nitro seems to fly big to me..
The Nitro has a pretty flat glide, not a long recovery arc(longer than a Stilleto, but not by much), great bottom end lift, and moderate front riser pressure.. This canopy is not a super swooper, but it's plenty for me......for now.. The openings on mine have been superb - soft and on heading every time.. When a friend of mine jumped it, he complained of off heading diving openings - but he also says the same about his Samurai, which I have had sweet, on heading openings on as well.. I'm not sure if it's difference in packing technique or body position on opening..
The Crossfire has very nice openings, moderate recovery arc, pretty flat glide, and pretty good(but not great) bottom end lift.. If you are considering a Crossfire, I suggest at LEAST waiting a while to see if it turns out to be another Nova..
Mike