Jimchamp1

Head Gear

Hi,
My name is Jimmy. I am researching some of the things to consider purchasing once I get my lisence. I was looking at helmets and some of them have external "audible ports". I was just wondering what these are, what they do, and why they might be important to have? If they are not recommended then why? Thanks!
Blue Skies,
Jimm

Sorry,
I am a little ignorant to some of these things. Would an audible altimeter mean that I don't actually have to have a "regular altimeter"? Does a computer tell you or something? And is that thing you said you reccomend go over it called an audible pocket? More specifically I was wondering what these things do (their function)?
Thanks,
Jimmy

At it's most basic, an audible altimeter beeps at you in freefall at preselected altitude(s). It's not a replacement for a visual altimeter or the most important altitude awareness device - your eyes, it's an additional reminder of "what time it is."
Some audibles also are "freefall computers" - the ProTrack is probably the most popular. This little toy not only beeps at you at three different altitudes (usually people set them for break off - time to get away from everyone, pull time and your decision altitude - when you will stop trying to fix whatever mess is over your head, off it and go to the reserve), it records your exit altitude, opening altitude, max freefall speed, average freefall speed, time and date of the jump, jump numbers, freefall time.. you can even set it up to record what type of dive you did (4 way, freefly, etc.) and for a bit more $$ get a software program that will let you download all that info to your computer.
Audible pockets are used on some helmets - simply a place to put your audible.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

You most certainly still need to use a visual altimeter. An audible is not a replacement for a visual altimeter. Audible altimeters are battery powered electronics devices. Batteries fail. So do electronic devices.
Audibles do make good backups, and are handy reminders.
_Am

You most certainly still need to use a visual altimeter. An audible is not a replacement for a visual altimeter. Audible altimeters are battery powered electronics devices. Batteries fail. So do electronic devices.
Audibles do make good backups, and are handy reminders

and your visual altimiter is only a reminder to your most important altimiter....you EYE'S...dont rely on eather your audible or your visual altimiter...they both can and will fail...
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

I agree with what has already been said about audibles being third in importance behind visual altimeters and your eys. That said, they are neat gadgets. If you go to the following page, you can click on the "Graph" buttons to see some of the info a Pro-Track w/software gives you.
http://www.jennandjustin.com/skydive-jumplog-last10.asp
I've also attached an image of the data on my last jump.
Justin

True Airspeed and Skydiver's Airspeed.
There is some adjustment for air density or somesuch in the skydiver's airspeed. It supposedly makes it more accurate. True airspeed usually reads higher.
Without the manual in front of me, it is too technical to give any more information. Maybe one of the brainy pilot types could explain more.... :)Justin

True air speed is literally that, it is the exact airspeed as measured by the instruments in the unit.
Skydiver airspeed is a compromise meant to normalize for different air preasures. Skydivers want a base comparison. We want to know how fast we're going at the Ranch, in New York, and compare that to how fast we're going when jumping in Colorado, some 5,000 feet higher. We want this to be a fair comparison, regardless of the differences in air preasure. Skydiver airspeed also normalises through the jump. Because the air is so much thinner at 13 grand, you'd go much faster. A graph of TAS from 13 grand through deployment would point downward. Since SAS is normalized for air preasure, the graph is theoretically straight given a constant body position.
How's that for a brain noodle?
_Am