steve1

Z-1 and glasses

I finally purchases a used Z-1. I would like to wear my glasses under the visor because I am now an old fart and have trouble seeing where I'm at, and where I'm going. At any rate my current glasses won't fit. I know that a smaller set of frames are needed. Any suggestions? I am considering buying a pair of smaller prescription goggles to wear under my plastic visor. But then I'm thinking that these may be more likely to fog up than standard glasses. I'd appreciate your input.

Bad Dog,
Thanks for taking the risers back. At least I think you were the one I sent them back to. I finally got some that would fit. Did you sell the Triathalon you had for sale? I think it was a 160 or 175? I may be in the market for one as soon as I sell my old rig. Steve

There are a very few frames that will fit under the Z! helmet. I used to wear mine under and they barely fit but did fit, they were a pair for the spring titanium frames. Binyons and many other places carry them. About 6 months after I bought my Z1 I broke my glasses (none skydive related). I took my helmet with me to binyons and tried frames on then put the helmet on( people look at you a little funny but who cares) The spring titanium frames are very expensive and in the end I went to contact just because they were cheaper. Anyways hope that helps.
Blues Skies
Kirk

The frames on my glasses are really small and theres no way they'll fit under my Z1... So I dont bother wearing them (eyesight isnt THAT bad). I'm gonna get contacts pretty soon, so I will be able to see even better, and wont have to worry about my glasses (which I seem to break, bend, or lose about three times a year)...

Seems to me it's not the frames as much as the shape of your face that matters. My glasses fit just fine under the Z1. They're small, but not tiny. Bring the helmet to a glasses store, and start trying on frames. Maybe you'll find a pair that's shaped right to fit. I dunno how bad your eyes are, but I'm not sure if they make goggles that accept strong prescription lenses.
Dave

I'm with Pilotdave on this one. My glasses fit fine under my helmet and they aren't really small frames either. I have contacts as well and with how inexpensive contacts are getting compared to a new set of glasses, I would opt for the contacts, at least for the jumping weekends. :)Tee

Worst case scenario, would it be possible to some how alter the padding in the helmet in such a way as to create channels for the earpieces to run through?

The padding is soft enough that the ear pieces aren't a problem. It's just the lenses bumping into the visor that causes problems for some people. Since the size of the helmet is only determined by the lining and all the shells and visors are the same, I'm guessing people with smaller heads probably have an easier time with glasses because of the extra space in it. I wear a medium and can put it on or take it off with my glasses on my face with no problem. I still haven't actually jumped it yet though to put this into practice. I'll probably be trying it for the first time at Freeze Fest at x-keys. I'll learn if it fogs up in the cold REAL quick too!
Dave

Yikes, I don't remember. All I know is I was severely nearsighted (things got fuzzy about 1 foot in front of my face).
Most lasik places will do a free consultation/screening to verify if you are a candidate. Since it's free, you have nothing to lose but about 30 minutes of your time.
-Sandy