MrHixxx

reserve slinks

Does anyone know if Reserve Slinks are okay to install on reserves that are not manufactured by PD? I bought them for my rigs, but I have PD reserves in both.
Nonetheless, I just earned my Senior riggers ticket and was wondering if I get a request to install them on other reserves if it is okay.
thanxxx, Hixxx

Considering that Slinks are stronger and less prone to failure than the more common (maybe not anymore) mini-links why wouldn't you want to use them on a reserve parachute? Slinks have been around long enough now that they're field proven, right? At this point I'm wondering why people aren't asking if it's OK to use the metal links on a reserve.
Someone educate me. :)

Metal links have proven themselfs for 15+ years, the modern reuseable slink has only been out for about 5. There was a case earlier this year of a reserve slink not being installed properly and had the reserve been needed, it would have probally killed the owner.
The manufactor (PD) can specify their useage and last I heard had only said PD reserves could use Slinks. I think Percision said Ravens can use them too, but to make sure I'd contact both PD and Percision.
Since PD is the ones that spent the time on the developement, testing,and got them certified for reserve useage, I'm more willing to listen to them then anyone else.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

There was a case earlier this year of a reserve slink not being installed properly and had the reserve been needed, it would have probally killed the owner.

This doesn't fly as an excuse to prohibit the use of Slinks on a reserve. This was a mistake made by a rigger, that same mistake could have been made with metal links as well.
Do the specifications for the reserve system go so far as to determine the method which will be used to connect the parachute to the risers? I can't imagine that Slinks would work on a PD and not a Precision or PISA canopy. Is this just parachute manufacturers being conservative, everyone waiting for everyone else to 'certify' Slinks as 'OK'?

My understandings is Slinks performed better in strength tests than regular links. So, based on that they are superior, barring rigger error. That is why I put them on my own rigs.
Nonetheless, the proverbial Catch 22 is I am expected to inspect and repack per "manufacturers specifications". Even though they are stronger, if they aren't approved from each manufacturer, as they say in the law profession "your ass is hangin' way out". So, I was just curious if other riggers had been contacting mfgs. and installed them in common practice.
Thanks for the responses, MrHixxx

Slinks are currently approved on PD and Raven reserves.
Other manufacturers have not gotten around to doing the expensive, heavy weight, high speed drop tests to certify Slinks on their reserves. They are limited by cost.
I also suspect that other manufacturers are waiting a few more years for PD to work out all the bugs on Slinks.
A large part of this de-bugging process is finding out all the different ways that field riggers can misroute stuff. Field riggers invent ways to mis-route stuff in ways that never occurred in the designer's worst drunken nightmare!

the modern reuseable slink has only been out for about 5.

PD began offering their reusable Slink for mains and reserves in 1999. I'm not aware of any reusable soft link being available before then. Riggers have been created their own soft links for at least 5 years, but all of those I've seen have not been reusable.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

Field riggers invent ways to mis-route stuff in ways that never occurred in the designer's worst drunken nightmare!

My rigger has a whole book full of pictures of rigs that he opened up where the previous riggered screwwed up or did something just plain odd. My personal favorite is the reserve that has some kind of smushed brown stain on it with in ink written right next to it, "Dead locus found here" with an arrow pointing to the stain.

Check here for more slink info.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forumgear&Number=49678&Search=true&Forum=forumgear&Words=slink&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=49431
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique