old_timer

Glasses

I don't know my prescription, I just know I have trouble making out signs in time on the highway with out my glasses. I have jumped twice with my glasses (I've never worn contacts) once on one of my night jumps. I did not like it either time. I told people at the DZ (jokingly) that when I see how scary a swoop is it makes me not want to do it. The real reason is the distortion in my periphery throws me off... I think someone is near me in FF and the ground in my lower periphery during plane out makes me flinch. If you can see well enough without correction (even though it is RX) why add a failure mode?

I can't go without contacts or glasses. My Rx really isn't that bad, but my astigmatisms are awful and I have no depth perception. I hate contacts. I've been fitted for every kind of thing out there and now have the lesser of all evils. They suck to put in, they suck to keep in all day, and I usually can't wait to take them out. But I don't go without them while I'm jumping.

I do have wiley-x Rx wrap arounds that have transition lenses in them if I'm without contacts. They're nice, but I'd rather jump in goggles, which I can only do with the contacts. I'm really looking forward to getting a G3, which I can wear my glasses under-- score! :)
If you need to wear glasses to drive, then you should probably be wearing them on your skydive too. Totally not worth it to just not want to wear them for whatever reason.

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

This is exactly why I very rarely post on the forums. I apologize for contradicting the eye doctor.

I will quit skydiving and all other contact sports this instant! I think everyone else on the forums should follow my lead, if you have had eye surgery STOP JUMPING IMMEDIATELY!!

Also, make sure you don't drive a car without your seatbelt, because you WILL die.

Don't drink a beer, because you WILL become an alcoholic

Don't eat any rare beef, because you WILL get MAD cow

And last but not least, DO NOT have unprotected sex because you WILL either get pregnant/ get someone pregnant AND get an STD

don't bother replying....... I'm done with this thread!!

Now that you are done, are you going to put a band aide on your dick since you seem to have stepped on it?

Think before you post. Some noob will read what you say and think it is just fine to take chances with their eyes.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

"

... I found that bifocals are not exactly helpful as I approach the ground. ...

"

.......................................................................................

Hah!
Hah!
You remind me of one of my warbird pilot customers. He used to own two airplanes, but said that he needed four paris of glasses.
One of his airplanes had a nosewheell and the other had a tailwheel, so his sight-picture changed as he flared for landing.
He needed dark bifocals to fly the nosewheel airplane during daylight, but clear bifocals to fly it at night.

He wore dark, single-vision lenses to fly his tail-dragger during the daytime, but wore clear single-vision lenses when he flew it at night.

"

... I found that bifocals are not exactly helpful as I approach the ground. ...

"

.......................................................................................

Hah!
Hah!
You remind me of one of my warbird pilot customers. He used to own two airplanes, but said that he needed four paris of glasses.
One of his airplanes had a nosewheell and the other had a tailwheel, so his sight-picture changed as he flared for landing.
He needed dark bifocals to fly the nosewheel airplane during daylight, but clear bifocals to fly it at night.

He wore dark, single-vision lenses to fly his tail-dragger during the daytime, but wore clear single-vision lenses when he flew it at night.

You're not talking about Pepper from Cal City, are you?

I seem to remember his flying the Otter at Cal City with like 3 pair of glasses on that he'd switch around depending on what phase of flight he was in... seriously... and some folks think jumpers are stupid for wanting out of the airplane!