mountainman

RAVEN reserves.....

Raven I = 181 square feet

Raven II = 218

Raven III = 249

Raven IV = 282

... at least by Precision's measuring method. Raven I was more like 176 square feet when measured by PIA's method.

The letter (i.e. Raven IIg) describes minor modifications. The first batch of Ravens were obviously "A", most of which had their original sliders repalced by bikini sliders, converting them to Raven-B.
Raven -C were rare.
Raven -D were a major redesign and were the first Ravens with large logo panels, aka. "Super Raven."

Raven -E,F, G, etc. were all minor modifications.

The only Ravens to avoid are the first batch of Raven-M because they used weaker Type 3 tapes for line attachments. Most Raven-Ms have been updated with Type I webbing for line attachments or at least extra bartacks. Raven-M was the first version built without packing tabs or bridle attachments.

Raven-Maa are fine.
Raven-Mz are rare because few riggers enjoy packing reserves with ZP fabric tip skins.

Most Ravens can be jumped as mains because they have packing tabs and bridle attachments. Ravens were popular as CF and sport mains for a few years after their introduction in the early 1980s. By the late 1990s, they had been replaced by 9-cell mains. Larger Ravens can still be jumped as mains, as long as you keep the wing loading below one pound per square foot. Ravens were even popular as BASE canopies until specialized BASE canopies were introduced.

Does anyone know the difference between the Dash-M, the SuperRaven and the MicroRaven reserve canopies? And please explain the difference if you can.

In post #8 of this thread a guy using the screename of "Precision" said:

"There are a couple of quick ways to determine the difference from across the room.

The Super Raven series (including Micro Raven) is made with a main bridle attachment. The Dash-M has no main bridle attachment and is made as a reserve-only.

Also, the Dash-M Series is constructed using a spanwise lower surface. The Super Ravens are built with chordwise lowers.

The airfoil and line trim package are the same for both canopies. "

If you check his profile I think you will find you need look no farther for you answer. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

nothing like people responding to a 4 yr old thread....:D:D:D:D

well i thought it would be better to post my question into this existing threat than to post a new one that has (almost) the same subject...

ok or bad habit?

Good habit. If you post on the same subject the repost police will come and take you kids.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

***The letter (i.e. Raven IIg) describes minor modifications. The first batch of Ravens were obviously "A", most of which had their original sliders repalced by bikini sliders, converting them to Raven-B.
Raven -C were rare.
Raven -D were a major redesign and were the first Ravens with large logo panels, aka. "Super Raven."

Raven -E,F, G, etc. were all minor modifications.

what about those "major redesign"? could you tell some details?

In the beginning (circa 1984) there were only Raven 1 (181 square feet), 2 (218), 3 (249) and 4 (280). They had Dacron lines, bridle attachments and packing tabs, but no V-tapes. Early on most Raven A were retrofitted with bikini sliders, which made them Raven Bs.

In the late 1980s, Super Ravens (with Raven-D to Raven-G?) on the orange warning label) debuted with V-tapes and big labels on the end ribs. Super Ravens retained the bridle attachments and packing tabs so they could still be packed as mains. Most Super Ravens have Spectra suspension lines, though I have repacked a few (C or D) Ravens with kevlar lines.

so the only significant difference (beside the different type of lines) between the original Raven and the Super Raven are V-tapes? what is a V-tape and what is it for? what about the bikini-slider - what difference makes this in praxi?

In the beginning (circa 1984) ...They had Dacron lines,...

In the late 1980s...Most Super Ravens have Spectra suspension lines, though I have repacked a few (C or D) Ravens with kevlar lines.

would there be a "problem" to jump a RAVEN (DOM 1991) used as a reserve (no jumps on it) with KEVLAR-LINES on it as a main (the lines are said to be in good condition...)?

so the only significant difference (beside the different type of lines) between the original Raven and the Super Raven are V-tapes? what is a V-tape and what is it for? what about the bikini-slider - what difference makes this in praxi?

The Super Raven canopy is a different airfoil than the original Raven. The addition of the v-tapes is not their only difference. As to what the tapes do, they form a "V" at the line attachments, running up the rib to the upper surface, so that the load is distributed more evenly. The bikini slider was a recommeded change to the original Ravens to speed up the openings to be more consistent with use as a reserve. As that original Harris f-111 fabric aged, the openings of canopies became very slow.

would there be a "problem" to jump a RAVEN (DOM 1991) used as a reserve (no jumps on it) with KEVLAR-LINES on it as a main (the lines are said to be in good condition...)?

The only problem will be that the Kevlar lines will wear out very quickly. The flex fatigue factor of that fiber is not really suitable for suspension lines on a main. At around a hundred jumps they'll look pretty bad (mileage may vary, of course).