AtWork

packing a cobalt

Hi Atwork,
I wouldn't Pyscho-pack a Cobalt as they already take awhile to open. I've seen an average of 800'-1000' feet as typical. A Pyscho-pack will probably only make the openings more prolonged and I'm not sure how it would effect the two-stage openings Cobalts are known for.
I pack using a normal Pro-pack. Quarter the slider and bring the nose side out. I then pull the nose cell out slightly before bringing around the tail and putting a few rolls in it.
Works for me. Opening are nice and on heading but still longish compared to the Safire I was used to jumping.
Another, note. During the opening sequence keep your hands off the rear risers until the canopy is fully deployed as input on the risers can interfer with the two-stage opening and lead to a hard/harder opening.
Hope this answers your question.

Feet up, heads down, blue skies,
Landmissle

Plus remember to stear the opening of the Cobalt with your legs like any other HP canopy.
Its very important to have equal length leg straps once you start highly loading a canopy to minimize the distortion input from the rig, and maximize the input from your body.
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

Define steering with legs?
Do you mean just shifting your weight in the harness a little? Does this up the chance of inducing line twist? I remember my (Very docile PD 190 loaded 1.3:1) opening up slightly off heading as it came out of the bag. I didn't do anything but realized right away that it was off heading and was probably going to sling me around when it inflated. It did. It was turned slightly right (about 30 degrees) and of course went to 90 degrees as it fully inflated. Should I have shifted my weight to the left to counter that turn? [question]
"Shut up Dummy!"- Fred G Sanford

Steering with your legs - as the canopy is still in the snivel and you are looking up at it, shift a portion of your weight to counter off heading openings. Some times it takes shifting back and forth to keep line twists from happening. Easy way to do this is to raise and drop legs like you are on a bicycle. not that far of motion, but you get the idea now.
I'll try and capture some stills from an opening last weekend, the canopy started to go 90 right and by shifting all the weight to the left leg i was able to bring it back to center just as the slider came down, end result: 10 degree off heading. It sure would have beat a 90.....
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

I actually packed ramon a slammer on a Cobalt just this past wednesday.
I pro packed it, left he nose wide open and quratered the slider just as I had done every other time I packed it, but he said it smacked him on opening. Every opening I've had has been sweet. Surpised the heck out of both of us (he used to jump an Alpha).
Anyone else been spanked by a Cobalt?
"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control. Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper."

begineers at light loadings on a cobalt will typically experience at first
end cell closure on one side.
almost always the closure is on the same side every time. in coaching i ask the jumper to
try shifting their hip a little to put a slight bias on the opposite side of the end cell closure.
sure enough the next jump they will experience end cell closure now on the opposite side.
everyone at first thinks they are symetrical on deployment, its not until experience the above do they realize otherwise. with understanding of this new skill, it usually takes beginners only several jumps to
dial in perfect openings and after several dozen weight shift starts to become instinctual and second nature.
btw. cobalts are not very prone to spins. having your weight slightly asymetric on deployment will typically result in closed end cells on one side and a corresponding turn. the rate of turn is low and not to be considered a spin, a slow simple toggle flare will inflate closed end cells.
as far as my personal packing technique: basically a straight propack, i push the nose in (i dont bother to roll), i do roll the tail tight always, and i put my bag in the container with the pridal facing the pin. i do this as i always deploy in a track, note this trick works very will with my rs and nj javelins as the bags are basically square, it may not work well with some other containers.
sincerely,
dan
atair

I also made already a lots of jumps with the cobalt 85 load to 2.1 / 2.2 with standard pro-pack, always with soft and good opening.
But as in any canopie, with the same pack the opening can differ slightly in the retard with per times heading slightly alterations without problems.
I think that the small differences in the opening retards and headings, they are also motivated by the number of days the canopie have pack in container, the squeeze inside of the container, and also for the humidity when and with that the canopie is packed.
Now I make all packs to psico-pack, but without to roll the canopie. I use the psico pack but with S-fold only. Because I think that the psico-pack guarantees larger consistency in the presentation of the canopie to the air and in the inflate opening.
I already made 30 jumps and the opennings they were always the same and very soft, without exaggerated retard. The opening of the cobalt were very good and now they are still better!!!

the normal pro pack has S folds in it...with the psycho pack you both roll it towards the middle(rolling the ears in) and then roll it up(like a sleeping bag) towards and then into the Dbag...makes my hornet open schweet!!!
Marc
Res Firma Mitescere Nescite

I pack all my Cobalts with a simplified PRO pack nowadays. I don't roll the nose or anything. Pull the tail around and roll it. Throw it on the ground still holding the nose to the center, put one little fold in it, then pull the canopy up on my legs and roll it down like a sleeping bag. As small as my canopies are, the bridle attachment point is always visible, so the bridle stays centered when I cram it in the bag.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

The advantage that I see in using the packing as psico-pack, but without rolling the pack-job in the end, it is when I place the canopie inverted in the ground I can check and to organize the position of the lines and, more important still in my opinion, I don't roll the tail as in the normal prop-pack, I organize the tail as indicated in the site of Precision http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm . In my opinion when we roll the tail in the standard for-pack it is difficult we make this twice equal, in the squeeze of rolling or in number it of turns, what can give small alterations in the opening. With the system psico-pack the tail is placed in triangle, half on top of the other half instead of rolling, what guarantees larger regularity and perseverance in the opening. An opening more cybernetic we can say.
I don't have pretenses of giving lessons to anybody. Just to manifest and to change opinions and experiences.