NathanL100

What Size Main?? Help!!

Totally agree - ask someone who is VERY experienced in this matter at your dz. It's better to ask someone you know and can watch you under canopy to give you advice. It's always better to start off big, then downsize - you've got all of your skydiving career to get smaller canopies, whereas if you get too small too fast, you might not have that much time in the sport. Good luck with choosing !!
Live to pull and pull to live

Its a big difference between 170 and 170 and 170, I guess.
Get 170 anyway - once wind picks up after you are up in the air, and turbulence goes from mild to pretty bad, you will be glad. As for killing yourself in a low turn - one size wouldn't make up for a lack of judgment I guess.. ask you instructor as everybody said...

Really you have to decide how "good" you were under your student gear. Talk to your instructor.
Downsize if you and your instructor think it is a good idea, and go from there. Can you land on your feet? If not, is it the size of your canopy, or is it you? What is your experience level?
I don't mean this to be an asshole response. I have problems landing, and it is because I chose too small of a canopy for my first one. Remember, grass stains on your jumpsuit are much better than a sprained ankle, or worse!
Be safe! If you're hurt, you can't skydive!
Love,
Billy
"Light a candle for the sinners---Set the world on fire!"
Marilyn Manson