ramon

Xaos data!!

Precision's website has been updated with details about the XAOS21 canopy.
Looks really interesting especially the new lines.
:D one note: His 'stabilirib' technology, I beleive Brian Germain has been using a design like that on all of his samurais.
peace
ramon

I saw that. Looks interesting. Like a tweaked fx. I did hear that they cascaded some of the lines after the practice for blade event in Perris so I was suprised to see that they were still going to sell them non-cascaded. I wonder if this is just an attempt to have something different?

Sort of like a statement question.
FXs can slam you sometimes and Velocities seem to open softer....as per claims at my DZ....I have only ever jumped an FX109...and it has always opened very briskly (not hard).
bloo skies
ramon

For what it's worth I saw a guy go to hospital after a brutal opening on a Velocity last week. No idea if it was in trim (should be with Vectran lines) or packed properly (was packed by the jumper with 2000+ jumps), so this may just be an isolated incident. Shit happens occasionally.
Geoff

aramid lines tend not to stretch noticably and catastophicly fail at the end of their life, whereas spectra can change dimension enought to put your canopy out of trim providing an indication to change lines.
for this reason i do not like the current way aramid lines are being used. people will not change their lines every 300 jumps and this will create a dangerous situation with aramids. people are under the mistaken idea that lines only break on opening. with soft opening canopies you can pull more g's on a hook turn than opening. chances are you will break lines on your final hook. (this has happened on many test jumps). this is a nightmare. you cant cut away and your canopy will range from unsafe to gone.
continous lines are bad in that they create signifigantly more drag. the cascaded lines are the second largest source of drag on a canopy. non-cascaded lines are even higher.
but non-cascaded lines are also safer when using aramids, as when you snap a line or two, you have a better chance of not loosing the canopy.
the idea of using aramid lines comes directly form paragliding and is not new. with so many line groups it was necessary for competition wings to go to smaller diameter lines, that would not go out of trim.
the statement that because the lines are thiner a non-cascaded parachute has less drag on its lines than a cascaded with spectra micro-line, just is not true with the current sizes being used. kevlar line that looks like carpet thread has suitable strength but can not be used due to other requirements of using it in parachuting. this line can slice through itself, fabric, flesh etc when used in diameters small enough to signifigantly impact it aerodynamic drag.
dan
atair

Ah, you can't say non cascades ARE bad. It is just something they are trying. Precision didn't use them at Perris, because George didn't have the super small lines yet, and they did cause more drag. But they did have them at the Ranch last week and Andy F. tore it up on a noncascaded Xaos and got second place.
Besides the XAOS isn't really in production yet, close but not quite, they are just pushing the envelope of design, and seeing what comes of it.
btw, Those spaghetti size lines are supposed to be rated at 700 pounds.

continous lines are bad in that they create signifigantly more drag. the cascaded lines are the second largest source of drag on a canopy. non-cascaded lines are even higher.

Let's watch out for phrases like "xxx are bad" and stick with something more objective, that the a significant downside of continuous lines is increased drag.
No one can argue with that.
In the case of the nitro, attempts were made to reduce this drag by making the lines shorter, and of course, thinner.

but non-cascaded lines are also safer when using aramids, as when you snap a line or two, you have a better chance of not loosing the canopy.

As you point out, there's an upside as well.
Sounds like everything is a bunch of tradeoffs, and maybe the nitro and other continuous line canopies wont set any speed records due to their drag, but they may have characteristics that are ultimately preferred by their pilots.
I'm not an advocate of continuous lines, I'd just like to be able to look at the tradeoffs objectively.
I'm still more concerned about what I heard about aramid, that it was originally rejected for use in parachute lines because it has a very poor resistance to both abrasion (slider grommets) and UV radiation. What changed there?
Saut A. Poil