chronistin

new main - hop'npops needed?

I heard a while ago that if you get a new canopy, you need to do a few jumps without freefall, i.e. opening the canopy before you reach terminal velocity so the lines can "adapt" before they get "full stress", because if you don't, they will be stretched unsymmetrically.
Now I should get my new gear any day, and at the shop where I buy it they say that this is not necessary, just go ahead and jump it normally.
So, is the advice I got before just a legend, a story for new skydivers so the others can laugh at you? Or does it apply to older canopies only, did the lining materials change in a way that it's not necessary any more? Or should I do it anyway? What's your opinion?
(Yeah, I'm gonna ask my ex-Instructors at the dropzone, but if you've got any info, i would not have to wait until the weekend)
;)
Greetings from Vienna
Andrea
http://www.wortwerkstatt.at/skydiving

I always do one from high (either right out the plane 13k or suck it down to 10k) Some parachutes (Extreme fX) are not supposed to be deployed above 5k, but that is the only one I have heard of (and I have done that twice and was fine).
Up high you can try everything, flat turns, front/rear riser turns. stall popints flare points etc.
You could also do a hopp n pop from say...5k instead of 3.5 if you beg your pilot, ha haha.
bloo skies
ramon

If a canopy had to be deployed at sub-terminal for the first jump, then should you not deploy a reserve if you find yourself with nothing out at 1600 ft? I think not. Most people like to do a clear and pull from 5 or 6 k to learn their canopy. One of the main reasons folks do this sub-terminal is to keep from finding out the packing secrets of their new canopy, and set the lines into the connection points on their canopy. Line stretch is not an issue. The canopy will not be damaged from a terminal deployment, but you might feel it.
jumpervali

I heard a while ago that if you get a new canopy, you need to do a few jumps without freefall, i.e. opening the canopy before you reach terminal velocity so the lines can "adapt" before they get "full stress", because if you don't, they will be stretched unsymmetrically.

I've never heard that one before.. The only reason I do hop&pops is so that I have plenty of time to play with a new/unfamiliar canopy before it's time to land it.. I do feel that doing some subterminal deployments(I exit the Twin Otter and pull within 2 seconds for these) to see how the canopy opens in a subterminal deployment.. That will help you make your decision altitude for when you would go out on your main on an emergency exit, and when you would go straight for the reserve..
Mike

Thank you all for your input. sounds like the original advise i got was just some dropzone legend after all.
sure i intend to open higher on my first jumps with the new gear, to get a feeling for the canopy and play around a bit.
but i think 6000 ft would be enough for that, which leaves me with another freefalling 6000.
jumpervali, that's a good point:

If a canopy had to be deployed at sub-terminal for the first jump, then should you not deploy a reserve if you find yourself with nothing out at 1600 ft?

but a reserve is usually stronger and more stubborn, might have different line-material to begin with and is more forgiving in its behaviour, so maybe a few millimeters more or less wouldn't make that much difference?
but you lost me there:

and set the lines into the connection points on their canopy

don't know if it's a problem with my english or with my skydiving vocabulary, could you explain this to me?
and, ramon,

You could also do a hopp n pop from say...5k instead of 3.5 if you beg your pilot, ha haha.

- that wouldn't be a problem, if i ask nicely... :$:D:$
thx again, and: more input welcome...
Chronistin
http://www.wortwerkstatt.at/skydiving

Setting the lines into their connections points refers to where the line is looped to the binding tape on the ribs of the canopy. When you get a new canopy the loops on the end of the line and the tape will not locked into a tight knot. The line is attached well, but not pulled tight. If you ever see loose attachments on a canopy it's new, or been rigged with a new set of lines. If you ever question if a reserve has been deployed at terminal the knots will be snug.
I hope this helps
jumpervali