PhillyKev

Mini = better???

Can someone explain the difference between mini risers and standard and mini rings and standard? In terms of safety, strength, etc. Is one definitively better then the other, or are there tradeoffs to either one?
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

sure there are always trade offs. like anything smaller you go weaker you get to a point. not that it really makes a difference in 99% if skydives...as far as mini rings are concerned the smaller they are the less mechanical advantage you have making a possibly harder cutaway...and less gross weight they can carry...plus with mini risers you can tuck your slider behind your head...or at least it is easier to get it over the brakes...
Marc
A-38578

sure there are always trade offs. like anything smaller you go weaker you get to a point. not that it really makes a difference in 99% if skydives...as far as mini rings are concerned the smaller they are the less mechanical advantage you have making a possibly harder cutaway...and less gross weight they can carry...plus with mini risers you can tuck your slider behind your head...or at least it is easier to get it over the brakes...

Marc makes many good points.. If I remember correctly, mini risers(which are all reinforced now) are rated at like 3600lbs.. Think about the load required to make a riser fail when you have 4 of 'em, each rated at 3600lbs.. I seriously doubt any canopy would survive.. The lower mechanical advantage on the mini rings is not a major factor, IMHO.. One of my cutaways was on mini risers/rings, and there was no problem..
Mike

How much do you weigh? The difference between mini and standard rings COULD be a big issue for you if you're a bigger person. If I remember the numbers correctly, under perfect conditions (the rings are properly aligned, cables aren't dirty, etc) the standard rings give you a 200 to 1 advantage, where the mini-rings give you 30 to 1.
Here, this may explain much better than I can:
http://www.jumpshack.com/the3ring.htm

As a young jumper, no, they don't make a bit of difference. You should not be concerned about the tiny reduction in parasitic drag you get with mini risers. Actually, they only drawback I have ever experienced with regular risers is having them stick out of the riser covers on your packed rig, or making it a bit more of a hassle to pull down your slider.
Chuck

mini risers can cause very hard cutaways on highly loaded spining canopies.
this is because the mechanical advantage is signifigantly lower than standard risers and the yellow cable can become kinked into the riser gromet during a very high g spin. a slight kink will have a large mechanical advantage against pulling the cable, far more so than friction in your riser cable housing.
so why are they used on tiny highly loaded canopies?
fashion.....no other reason.
after a very scarry hard pull last new years, i have spent a lot of design time on the problem.
we hope to introduce a redesigned mini ring release for 'competition' rigs late this year.
sincerely,
dan
atair

weid14,
i though i answered that.......?
will be up on our site probably in september, also some information will be submited as an article for consideration to skydiving.
sincerely,
dan
ps. opening shock mini vs standard: i doubt the difference in elasticity between the two types of webing is signifigant.