BIGUN

How to get rid of spammers and Scams and increase site revenue

First 30 days use = free trial - no transactions allowed (either buying or selling) or use of email. After 30 days...

$30.00 for 90 days = everything except email.
$60.00 for 6 months = everything + email
$90.00 for one year = Everything + what's currently available in the Premier Membership + additional email gigs.
$100.00 for one year = Everything + what's currently available in the Premier Membership + additional email gigs + SPEAKERS CORNER. :o

How does this get rid of scammers?
Proper and full profile with * mandatory fields and payment by CC (now making scammers somewhat traceable).
Members could switch off any mandatory fields to the outside world.

While you're at it; would you create a form for the incidents thread with informational fields before one can post

Male/Female:
Name if released:
Main Canopy:
Main W/L:
Reserve Canopy:
Reserve W/L:
AAD? Type:
RSL?
Helmet:
Injuries or Fatality
Description of Incident:
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Oh stop it. Turkey alone has 38 million credit cards and one can do dynamic currency conversions (DCC's) while traveling the globe.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

True - we can pay at the supermarket with our ATM card. What do we need a credit card for but to buy a membership on DZ.com

BIGUN:
Does your proposal include all the forums?
In that case you'll get rid of an awful lot of legit users too.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I don't think the direction of the site will ever move to charge people to get access to the items they get access to today for free.

The idea of a CC# on the back end is an interesting idea but I for one would never use a site that says they will "hold" my credit card number. I also tend not to use sites that want to charge me money just to list items for sale.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No need to hang on to their CC# anyway.... they're not buying a domain name... it is a subscription and upon approval, delete and at the end of the subscription period; an email of renewal goes out just like on the ad renewal.

BIGUN:
Does your proposal include all the forums?
In that case you'll get rid of an awful lot of legit users too.***

The initial proposal was for "everything" meaning all forums would be 30 days free, etc. etc. The part about Speaker's Corner was with some levity...

Here's what I do know... 1) any site that is generating sufficient revenue wouldn't need to cloogie up their site with nine bazillion adwords which most are going to adblocker anyway (not the banner.... that's a good thing for those in our sport... I paid for a banner ad a couple of years ago), 2) Use your ATM card to subscribe... the final objective was to have a complete profile, associated with a credit card to give pause to the scammers.

Is it perfect; "No." But, is it a start and a direction for the powers to be - perhaps.

I think the moderators do a good job of keeping the spam and scammers out of the forums for the most part.

Here's another idea to clean up the classifieds

Charge deposits to post and reply to ads.

$10 to post an ad (fully refunded when sold or removed)

$1 to reply to an ad. (fully refunded when either the ad is removed or by request if the offer to buy is rescinded)

The reason the scams are done is because it costs them nothing except some time. Trying to stop them is impossible. Removing their economic incentive is not.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

$10 to post an ad (fully refunded when sold or removed)

Okay, we're making progress here... what if HH were to completely take off the classifieds section and tie the hyperlink to his ebay store. He could make money on both the front and back ends and un-cloogie the site somewhat.

What about those who do not have a creditcard?

Yeah... what about us?

Yes, it would get rid of spammers and scams and it might increase site revenue, but it would shut the site off from anybody who, for whatever reason, doesn't have a magic piece of plastic or doesn't have an extra $10 a month to spend on a website.

But WTH, skydiving has been yuppiefied, why not dz.com? [:/]

CC can be bought with a set amount on them at most grocery stores. Most times they are in the GC stand.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey