pilotdave

Bail money

I think that could actually work. That's possibly the first real mechanism I've seen to stop people constantly breaking rules all the time and could even do a lot to keep some of the trolls out.

Whether or not HH wants to take that step though... it is kinda draconian... but I agree it could work.

Hell, maybe if he wanted to avoid accusations from aggrieved parties that it's merely a money making scheme he could have them donate to his favorite charity?

So is checking someone's IP address.

Sure, more intelligent trolls will get round that... but then I suspect there are a lot of trolls etc who don't really fall into that bracket.

Those genuine users simply banned for rule breaking generally value the fact that people know their user ID and or history... keeping that would, I'm sure, be worth the tiny amount of money HH might ask for under Dave's scheme... at least for most anyway.

Those who don't fall into one of those two groups... well... no system's perfect.

Its not a bad idea, but its definately a conflict of intrest, since HH controls the final say in someone's status on the board and the moderators are all friends of HH. It really wouldn't be ethical to setup a system as you suggested.

With that said, setting up an environment where people felt like they should donate when they get banned, but didn't have to to recieve special treatment, that would be a good thing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And then the people who get banned from the forems, can they get a refund on the money they already donated, or there monthly subscription?

Nope. Read the fine print.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Well if they change the rules on the banning, then HH would need to re-consider the other rules..... either way this is a stupid suggestion in my opinion because of the "conflict of interest" regardless of who the money goes to...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

either way this is a stupid suggestion in my opinion because of the "conflict of interest" regardless of who the money goes to...

This is a private website. The owner can charge any amount for anything he wants. He can accept bribes if he chooses. There's no "conflict of interest." The interest is all his. If making extra money was his interest, where's the conflict? :P

I'd also add that this wouldn't apply to permanent bannings. If you're that naughty, well, tough luck. This could just be a way to apologize while supporting the site. If you choose not to pay, you just sit out till your ban is over.

You seem to be taking this suggestion personally. Any special reason? :P

Dave

This is a private website. The owner can charge any amount for anything he wants. He can accept bribes if he chooses. There's no "conflict of interest." The interest is all his. If making extra money was his interest, where's the conflict

It may be a private persons website, but it is open to the public, fine on banning people, thats for those who break rules but it would be a conflict of interest becasue as its been pointed out, if we had to pay to get un-banned then bans would be construed as a way for HH to recieve more "donations" which would piss people off when they feel they have been banned un-justley, and soon the website would lose alot of its appeal because this sport is a small community, one feels screwed his/her friends may too... and once this website becomes all about making money then others will find or start up a free website, as HH did, as HH has. Theres a reason he has this for free and there is a reason he accepts donations, he isnt out to nickel and dime us...

I'd also add that this wouldn't apply to permanent bannings

Clay hasnt been permanently banned, but he has donated money to this website so tech by your way of thinking he should be allowed back on? In my opinion paying money wont make people behave, and threatening to charge people if they get banned because they argue over the internet isnt going to slow down the bannings. It could in fact make it to where more people get banned, since after all , the mods are HH's friends .....

You seem to be taking this suggestion personally. Any special reason?

Nah dont take it personally, I dont care if Clay is banned or not, I think its funny that he cant get on and I think it was justified, and if you read what was going on I was a big advocate of him getting in virtual trouble. I just think its funny that this suggestion came up the day after his banning, and I find it funny that several other people have behaved as he did but the issue was dead in much less time.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this