calphoto

Off-Topic Classifieds

There are several mis-catagorized ads in teh classifieds. Home typing jobs don't belong in the employment section. there is one there now. Some may call them marginal, but if it is not skydiving related, or from a skydiver, it should not be there.
Worse are the ads for selling stuff in the employment section. At least one is there now, selling DZ software. I wrote him suggesting that he had posted there by mistake. He wrote back saying that he had SPECIFICALLY mis-posted, because DZO's and managers looked there. I wrote a moderator about it and have gotten no reply, and the post is still there.
Posting software in the employment section is as wrong as posting a DZ rant under equipment. The moderators are quick to shift (what they think are )wrongly posted threads, so why no policing of obviously and deliberately posted spam?
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

The moderators are quick to shift (what they think are )wrongly posted threads, so why no policing of obviously and deliberately posted spam?

The mods have no powers in the Classifieds. We are only able to use our magic buttons in the forums where you see our names listed at the top.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The moderators are quick to shift (what they think are )wrongly posted threads, so why no policing of obviously and deliberately posted spam?

What annoys me about your post is the fact that you seem to think the solution to your problem is to accuse the moderators. If you want me to help you... or even pay remote attention to your gripe... don't start off this way.

I'm slowly loosing my patience with people going after the moderators every time they have an itch. >:(
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Perhaps you ought to have a "classified moderator"? Someone who reviews ads before they get posted into the classifieds, and gives a simple yes/no to each one (or, if you have more time, has the ability to edit/move them into the correct category)?

I'm not sure how much workload that would be, but I'd volunteer to help out if it wasn't running more than 10 classifieds per day, or something like that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

PhreeZone is my classifieds moderator. He looks at ads "after the fact" though. They get posted out live and he then has access to an editor interface that allows him to move and delete ads ex post facto. I'll give you access to that interface as well if you want to jump in and lend a hand from time to time.

This should give you a good idea of the number of new ads per day:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?g=New%2F&d=1
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Sorry guys, I took the weekend off to spend it with my girlfriend and I did'nt have access to the Classifieds. Considering the 2 ads in question were posted on Saturday, I think that its reasonable for me to have the weekends off and to go have some fun instead of hovering over the classifieds deleteing any off topic ad with in a few minutes.

I spend more time deleting duplicate ads and fixing ALL CAPITAL LETTER or major mispellings in ads then I do deleting junk ads.

I've mentioned many times if someone sees an ad they do not like to PM me and I'll have it deleted in no time. Its rare for me to be off DZ.com for more then 2-3 days.

Tom I have no issue at all with you helping out. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No intent to offend, and if I did I am sorry. As I said, I went to the person who mis-posted first. He made it clear that the mis-post was intentional, and that he intended to do it in the future. I then PM'd a friend/moderator, and recieved no reply. Seeing that there is a glitch in the system, I THEN came to feedback. Having seen posts shifted elsewhere, I assumed that that power existed for the classifieds as well.

Yes I would be happy to help. DZ.COM is a great site, and I am sure that it requires a lot of time to maintain. Count me in.
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

...I then PM'd a friend/moderator, and recieved no reply. Seeing that there is a glitch in the system, I THEN came to feedback. Having seen posts shifted elsewhere, I assumed that that power existed for the classifieds as well...

I wonder if a note somewhere in classifieds saying "Classified's Moderated by Phreezone" or some such would be appropriate. That way folks who spotted an innapropriate ad would know who to PM about it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com