SpeedRacer

Dytter confusion

A while back someone offered to sell me an audible altimeter that he first claimed was a "dytter". Then I asked for more info about this Pro-dytter (as that's what I assumed it was) and then he said it wasn't a Pro-dytter!
I thought dytter was a trademark name of Larsen & Brusgaard. Larsen & Brusgaard sells an audible altimeter known as a "Pro Dytter", and as far as I could tell, there is only one product with that name. Is there another product called simply a "dytter"?

I jump a plain basic garden variety Dytter. There is only one setting, which you set yourself. Its smaller than the pro-tracks and pro-dytters. No digital display, no computer interface, nothing like that. But I like it just fine. It would make me sad to think they aren't sold anymore.

They aren't manufactured or sold new anymore... [sad] The Dytter was the audible of choice back in the 80's and early 90's. One beep was all ya got, setting it was sometimes a guessing game and it was a bit thicker than the audibles available today. It was also more expensive than a ProDytter is now.
You can still find used "old style" Dytters. Worth around US$50 and batteries are still available from most major gear dealers. Not a bad choice for a second audible if you ain't got the big bucks but personally I'd rather have a ProDytter or ProTrack as my primary audible. One nice thing about the old style Dytter, especially for camera fliers - if you get one that was manufactured in the late '90's you can add an LED and have a visual alert also.

pull and flare,
lisa

I'm gonna have to agree with skyslut on this one. Most people just refer to an audible altimeter as a dytter. I guess its because it was the first good audible out there. I have a Skytronic Pro and I love it. I definately recommend jumping with an audible, whatever kind it may be. It has saved me a few times.
Safe landings,
Alex C-30872

sorry to hear about your troubles, speed racer. hope you can find something you like. personally i have a Pro-Track and I LOVE love love it! I dropped it in the plane a couple of weeks ago, and somehow I busted the "battery cover". It was cracked and coming apart (just the cover) not sure what i did. anyway, the durn thing STILL WORKED beautifully in freefall and still works. larsen and brusgard sent me a replacement battery cover and two new batteries for free :D how is that for service? plus the fact that the durn thing still worked fine was amazing. it looked as if somebody stepped on it. the front was still ok and everything, not scratched or anything, weird. but obviously they are made well. i say the $285 is worth it if you have it, 'cause i love all the cool stuff it tells you after every jump. its my favorite toy, except for my computer. (parachute doesn't count 'cause its not a toy) a Pro-track really isn't a toy either, but you get my drift! It is functional AND fun to use! LOL I sound like a commerical. Its time to go! Skydiving awaits! BYE! good luck speedo. hehe.
sis

Hi All,
WHile we're doing commercials for audibles, let's not forget the humble "Time-Out". Cheap and relatively simple. OK, it doesn't interface with your PC, ti doesn't tell you how fast you went, how long you fell etc... WHat it does is sound off at your pre-selected (stop playing) height, then at 2,500ft (deploy NOW) & at 1,500ft (do something or DIE!!!).
At the end of the day, this is the basic function of an audible alti & I like the way that the two lower settings are permanently set (so they can't be accidentally changed).
One word of caution, don't let your audible take over from your sense of altitude/time or your visual alti - audibles come third in knowing how high you are!
Mike D10270.

BTW,
Just a salutary tale about a Pro audible user... Guy was suspected of opening low (wearing a Pro-Dytter / similar) and the enuing conversation:
DZ Controller: "Did'nt you pull low?"
Skydiver: "No!"
DZC: "Yes you did."
S: "No I didn't!"
DZC: "Lets see your helmet."
S: "Here."
DZC: "This (pro Audible) says 1,400ft... You're grounded."

WHile we're doing commercials for audibles, let's not forget the humble "Time-Out". Cheap and relatively simple. OK, it doesn't interface with your PC, ti doesn't tell you how fast you went, how long you fell etc... WHat it does is sound off at your pre-selected (stop playing) height, then at 2,500ft (deploy NOW) & at 1,500ft (do something or DIE!!!).
At the end of the day, this is the basic function of an audible alti & I like the way that the two lower settings are permanently set (so they can't be accidentally changed).

Only problems with a Time Out - like the old style Dytter they are no longer available new and the case is a bit thicker than the other available audibles (read might be painful to your ear). You can find them used; I've seen them from $50-$100. Some or the more expensive include an LED for a visual warning also. Another great choice if you can't afford one of the newest designs.

One word of caution, don't let your audible take over from your sense of altitude/time or your visual alti - audibles come third in knowing how high you are!
Mike D10270.

Good point Mike! :)pull and flare,
lisa