skreamer

Stolen gear section?

Hi HH
How about a 'Stolen Gear' section under 'Gear and Rigging'? People could post descriptions (and pics if they have them) of any stolen gear. Dunno if this has been suggested before, might be a good idea though.
Cheers
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

Yup - has been suggested before and it is a good idea. I have not had time to implement something like this yet. I think there are a few other cool features that can be included to add some value. i.e. send a weekly summary email to all registered riggers and DZO's on Dropzone.com (opt in of course) of the stolen gear listed. That way they always have a fresh list.
Just setting up a stolen gear database is great, but the key in my opinion always lies in finding a smart and useful way to mine the information and disseminate it.
... there's got to be more that can be done.... any ideas?
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Seems that if there is too many places, no one will know cuz the info will be spread too thin. Just a thought.

You don't run the risk of spreading the info 'thin' if you can devise a way to keep all copies current. A thought would be to have DZ.com mirror the lists already maintained by the USPA, CSPA, WhateverPA... With modern technology this would actually be fairly simple.

An easy thing to do would be to put an interface to allow a user to search to see if the rig they are getting is stolen.
Another Suggestion is a database of curent Safety bultins from the manufacters. Allow a simple place for riggers and jumpers to go to and look up all the things that could need done on a rig the are working on/ looking at getting. If you need some one to contact the manufacters for some of this info, let me know.
Murphy's Laws of Love - If the person isn't taken, there's a reason for that...

Another Suggestion is a database of curent Safety bultins from the manufacters. Allow a simple place for riggers and jumpers to go to and look up all the things that could need done on a rig the are working on/ looking at getting.

That's a pretty sweet idea too. Could be in the future that dz.com is your one-stop-shop for most anything skydiving related. I think the trick is getting the various manufacturers to work with dz.com on building and maintaining such a database.
It would be cool though. Very cool.

how about a simple "STOLEN GEAR LINK" on the homepage? with the USPA's consent, you could like up to them... or even link to another dz.com page where several sites are listed regarding stolen gear.. this way, dz.com is doing a good part in recovering stolen gear but youre leaving the 'dirty work' of setting it up/maintaining it to the others?
at least until we figure something better out..
just a thought
My little corner of the web.