AbrasiveLizard

Employment (Tandem Master) and Travel?

Hi,

It dawned on me today that being a Tandem Master might work quite well with travel and I guess to an extent a backpacker lifestyle.

Are there any Dropzone members who can testify to this? I would like to get an idea of how easy it would be to pick up work while traveling Europe/N.America/S.America/Pacific, etc.

In my epiphany I imagine working Friday - Sunday, getting paid, making free jumps, enjoying free accomodation and then having Mon - Thur free wherever I may be.

Sorry I know nothing about the employmen side of the industry. Any links or input would be appreciated. I've Googled and searched the sites articles and forum but haven't found much information about this.

Are there any Dropzone members who can testify to this? I would like to get an idea of how easy it would be to pick up work while traveling Europe/N.America/S.America/Pacific, etc.

In my epiphany I imagine working Friday - Sunday, getting paid, making free jumps, enjoying free accomodation and then having Mon - Thur free wherever I may be

Good luck, but I think the operative term is 'pick up' work.

The problem is that the DZ is going to give the work to the 'regulars', the guys who are there week in and week out, and have paid their dues. If you roll into town for a week, and the DZ gives you work over their regular, local staff, how do you think that's going to go over with those guys? Probably not that great, and for that reason, I can't see you getting much work.

DZ tend to reward loyalty. Full timers (7 days per week) guys tend to get the most work. Next would be the guys who have been there the longest, and so on. That's how DZs get and keep employees, give them an incentive to be there and available to work, and the guys who really want it will be there.

The bad news for (or additional bad news) is that most jobs on the DZ are like this, even packing. Truth is, between things like the weather, and the ups and downs of how much work a DZ might have, even if you could pick up work here and there, it's not a great plan for making money. One weekend and one DZ might be weathered out, and then the next weekend at another DZ, they might have a light schedule and not a lot of work to go around.

There are two ways to get a job on a DZ. The first is to hang around for awhile (like if you live nearby) and make it known you're up for working at the DZ. Once you've been there awhile and are a 'regular', you can get in the line for people who want to work at the DZ, and they'll let you know if they need you. Maybe another guy quits or moves away, or maybe the DZ is getting busier, but when they need you they'll let you know.

The other way is to get hired. If you already have ratings and are willing to move somewhere to work, a DZ in need might place a 'help wanted' ad on DZ.com, or just put the word out they need people. In either case, the idea is that they already need people and have to bring them in to fill the need.

I think it would be much more realistic to move seasonally.

In the summer get your winter dropzone lined up. Do the same during the winter for the summer season. This way you can probably get a change of scenery every season.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think it would be much more realistic to move seasonally.

I imagine this would be your best bet. It kinda hinders having the week off and moving every few weeks, but it would still kinda support the backpacker lifestyle. 4-6 months in one spot then off the next.

I'm gonna try to strike out as a packers this fall and that is my plan, work a season then off to the next. Maybe even a slight chance of moving abroad, at least I really hope so.

Another option is the boogie circuit. Would be a little more tricky and require planning ahead.

Try talking with jump-plane owners who work in Michigan during the summer, but Florida during the winter.

traveling Europe/N.America/S.America/Pacific, etc.

FWIW, be aware that all countries have their own laws regarding immigration, visas, etc. If you're visiting a country under, say, a tourist visa, it might not be legal under that country's laws to work for an in-country employer for compensation. If this matters to you, then you should check the appropriate laws ahead of time so you don't unwittingly find yourself in legal trouble somewhere thousands of miles away from any American's ability to help you.

traveling Europe/N.America/S.America/Pacific, etc.

FWIW, be aware that all countries have their own laws regarding immigration, visas, etc. If you're visiting a country under, say, a tourist visa, it might not be legal under that country's laws to work for an in-country employer for compensation. If this matters to you, then you should check the appropriate laws ahead of time so you don't unwittingly find yourself in legal trouble somewhere thousands of miles away from any American's ability to help you.

Hi A

I'm not sure the lizard is from the U.S.:o

R.I.P.

If you are under 30 many countries offer working holiday visa to allow you to visit and work for a year or two. There a few countries like new Zealand that offer this visa up to 35 years old. Unfortunately the USA has no such program. ( which is why Americans can't get this visa in many countries)
I've been in Australia for jus over a year on tis type of visa.
Working in the skydiving industry here is a great option, IF you have the experience. The big tandem drop zones want you to have a 1000 jumps before you do tandem. Outside video Is pretty much non existent except for a few Dzs and you need a rating to do packing.
I have done a bit of packing and video work but only after ecoming a regular at some drop zones.
I have been living the backpacker lifestyle and still making really good money for a gew years doing my normal job as a welder.
If you want to travel and earn good money get a career that will allow you to do short term work that pays well, such as construction trades.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I think this is very doable. What other folks don't seem to realize is that the "backpacker lifestyle" is not a high dollar lifestyle. Its a lifestyle that encourages living within your humble means, eating like crap, and bouncing from hostel to hostel or couch to couch. Because of that, even if you're getting a little bit of work here and there...I think your'e in good shape. Experience is key though, as it will be easy to move around when you're more marketable.

Cheers,
Travis