clint

TI's Sony cx105 for HandCam

I know the camera has just come out but has anyone used it for handcam yet? If so, how is it?

I know of a DZ that is waiting until the Pal equivelent of the CX105 comes out before moving entirely to soild state.

The CX7 and CX12 already works fine (most of the time, bar some IS issues) for hand cam so I can't see why the 105 wouln't.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hey Clint, I haven't bought a glove for it yet, but I plan to use my CX-100 for handcam...overkill? I think not...ability to shoot video AND stills in a much smaller package than any PC model;)

The attached photo would be my version of overkill...

> Bellycams on students capture everything just fine . . .

I made a few hundred jumps with a belly camera doing AFF. It was a decent learning tool - not as good as freeflown video but still better than nothing.

I was referring to putting a belly cam on a tandem student.:P

Personally, I think you guys got it all wrong. Bellycams on students capture everything just fine, including deployment. No risk of instructor entanglement,

same angle all the time equals [yawn] Boring!

you don't just sit in front of the student the whole time when you are on outside camera, do you?

Handycam gives the tandem master something to do, if it do a tandem with no camera i feel like it it too easy.

i have never heard of an entaglement and if there was one or more then smothing seroud must have fucked up and the hand cam is not to blame.

belly mount cams are a shit idea IMHO for experienced T/M's

I enjoy getting good angles.

For the OP.

a CX105 would be absolutely perfect for handcam.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

it was a joke, Rhys.
I understand why handycam is popular at some DZ's but I'm not a big fan.
If you've never heard of an entanglement, search DZ.com, there are a few posts on the subject. I'm too lazy at the moment.

Yes, if a camera is gonna be on a wrist, it's hard to beat the CX100/105. Light, small, high quality.

it was a joke, Rhys.

didn't seem like one.

If you've never heard of an entanglement, search DZ.com, there are a few posts on the subject. I'm too lazy at the moment.

I can't be bothered either, as i mentioned if they have happend someone fucked up bad and handcam is not to blame.

I think it will be great for handcam, I will buy one. There is no rec light etc so you need the hypeye D pro.

By the way I want to buy a hypeye D pro but need some modifications to it first. Does any one know how to get in contact with the manufacturers?

. . . same angle all the time equals [yawn] Boring!
. . . I enjoy getting good angles.

Are you seriously making the argument that handcam allows a variety of angles? Sorry, but that's laughable. :D The only angles I see in handcam videos are slight variations of nostril (and if you're lucky, maybe some legs and ground after opening).

. . . same angle all the time equals [yawn] Boring!
. . . I enjoy getting good angles.

Are you seriously making the argument that handcam allows a variety of angles? Sorry, but that's laughable. :D The only angles I see in handcam videos are slight variations of nostril (and if you're lucky, maybe some legs and ground after opening).

Or the passenger's reaction after opening?
We are going off-topic. Just curious does the CX105 have a normal out including slowmotion so you can use lineair editing?

CX105 will do ok. For the moment I stay with my HC5. Some people consider this a large camera for handcam. I do not have any issues with it.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

Not a different viewing angle. You missed the point.

cx100 playback is poor compared to MiniDV, especially slow motion. Linear editing may be possible, but the product will not be comparable.

The only difference between the CX-100 and my old pc101 is that there's no remote. I can do everything I used to using the touchscreen. I don't know what you mean about poor playback...:Sit looks exactly the same to me, or should I say "comparable" (except now it's widescreen)

cx100 playback is poor compared to MiniDV, especially slow motion. Linear editing may be possible, but the product will not be comparable.

Huh? I take it you never actually USED a CX100/105 yet?

You need to use the touchscreen for slowmo as there is no remote, but it is very possible to do linear editing using this camera. I do my editing on a pc but I had to do a linear edit yesterday when my graphics card quit on me.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Huh? I take it you never actually USED a CX100/105 yet?

You need to use the touchscreen for slowmo as there is no remote, but it is very possible to do linear editing using this camera. I do my editing on a pc but I had to do a linear edit yesterday when my graphics card quit on me.

Own one and use it. Playback is not up to my standards. Slow-motion performance especially. But this is an entirely subjective assessment, and reasonable minds will differ, eh?

What format are you recording in then, and what lens do you use? Only things I can think of that can degrade the image to less then the usual PC/TRV style miniDV footage. Don't think I even notice much of a difference between my HC5 and my CX105 but haven't compared them side-to-side. I shoot HDV with the HC5 and highest quality SD with the CX105, both using a raynox hd3031 lens, and footage/dvds from both look great on the big plasma tv we have. Definately way better than most if not all PC style cameras the freeflyers use (with the single element lenses usually).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not image quality. I refer strictly to real-time playback capabilities of the camera. My subjective assessment: clumsy to find specific location in mpeg clip; choppy slow-mo performance; clumsy to access slow mo options (speed, forward, reverse). These elements make linear editing sub-par to miniDV and a no-go for me.

I

refer strictly to real-time playback capabilities of the camera. My subjective assessment: clumsy to find specific location in mpeg clip; choppy slow-mo performance; clumsy to access slow mo options (speed, forward, reverse). These elements make linear editing sub-par to miniDV and a no-go for me.

I agree that any speed change from the camera is clumsy. I've never been a fan of the slomo from DV cams either, however.
Either way, I agree. You *can* edit CX100 in a linear system, but the playback experience is less than stellar. Playback at half-frame rate doesn't cut it, IMO. That's just another reason we're non-linear.

Are you seriously making the argument that handcam allows a variety of angles? Sorry, but that's laughable. Laugh The only angles I see in handcam videos are slight variations of nostril (and if you're lucky, maybe some legs and ground after opening).

I don't want to stray the subject but i will answer that question.

Yes ther are a variaty of angles available, and you have obvously only seen bad examples.

You can have your camera behind and above looking down, to the side, in front, below... and you can pan from each angle creating a really dynamic video.

I can have the whole tandem pair in frame with two different angles with my hc96 and a black eye, some cameras are even wider than those for people with shorter arms.

after opening and interviewing the initial reaction give the customer the controls and tell them to do a righ hand spiral (while assisting them with your right hand) and start from above looking down to thier feet and slowly pan down stopping at there face having the best time of its life and finish with the camera on their belly looking up at the canopy with the horizon and scenery spinning around, learn to fly the canopy with your hands out to the side and slightly in front and have their whole body in frame, and with a good landing shot including thier facial expressions.

Or you could shove it in their face for 60 seconds (freefall) allowing their snot to slowly smudge the lens and have a nice shot of their elbow and your 3 ring when you slam your usless ass into the ground because you don't have enough passion to do you utmost to give every customer the best product you can given the conditions and equipment you have.

there are options but you have to work to get the best ones.

Nothing new in your descriptions. I'v seen it. And sorry, but I still see it as only slight variations of nostril.

But kudos to you for having passion enough not to have a useless ass to slam into the ground and for making the best of your situation. Passion is key in this sport; and infectious with students. ;)

Nothing new in your descriptions. I'v seen it. And sorry, but I still see it as only slight variations of nostril.

But kudos to you for having passion enough not to have a useless ass to slam into the ground and for making the best of your situation. Passion is key in this sport; and infectious with students. ;)

You are of cource free to not jump with handcam, if you do not like the product, a lot of my customers are happy with it and yes they can choose between in and outside video.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!