packing_jarrett

Coach vs. Instructor

Hi I have some questions about flying.

My friend and I are going to book an hour at the tunnel in Perris (30 minutes each).

My friend wants to freefly as well as I do but with a little RW. We were looking at coaching and its like $150 for the half hour.

From what I gathered there's an instructor with us there anyways? Now can the instructor coach us on freeflying or will he be in there so we don't kill ourselves.

I'd rather get mediocre person teaching me for free... than paying top dollar. -get what you pay for type thing:P
Na' Cho' Cheese

Typically an instructor works for the tunnel and is there to save your life if you lose control - and give you general advice - but cannot talk to you while you are not flying because he is spotting your friends flying.

A coach is in ADDITION to the instructor - who can dedicate his efforts and energy to you, both while you are flying, and while you are sitting waiting to fly. He or she might spot you a bit if you need it, but most likely will get out of the way for the instructor to do the spotting/safety.

I will say, both from being coached, and coaching basic RW in the tunnel - getting a coach is a very good investment.

In retrospect, the time I did not hire a dedicated coach, it shows in my progression.

The tunnel is like a machine that blows dollar bills - you need as many hands to catch them as they blow buy to make the investment worth it.

Without a coach, I often see people go in and have no real goals, and not be pushed beyond what they know. Sure the instructors will help a lot, but they cannot communicate with you when you are not flying to setup the next drill and debrief you from the previous.

Now - a coach can be privately hired, or can be a tunnel employee who is dedicated to you. Either are great, just find one you like.

In Perris, Pat McGowan was my coach, and he was absolutely wonderful for RW work.

The tunnel is like a machine that blows dollar bills - you need as many hands to catch them as they blow buy to make the investment worth it.

That is an AWESOME analogy. I am going to try and keep that in mind next time I just want to fawk around, when instead I really need to keep my eyes on the prize.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I got some coaching from Alchemy at Perris , they may cost a bit extra but they are definitley worth it as they use the in air comms system so they can talk to you whilst flying. I can't reccomend it high enough. Unless you are a serious competitor in rw they can probably coach you in that as well as freefly.