Viking

Did my first block in the tunnel on monday.

Went up to skyventure in perris for meaker monday with a couple friends and got in the tunnel. wow what an odd feeling lol It really showed just how wobly i was. After a couple 2 min turns and I was much more stable and able to work on my turns and fall rate without hitting the glass lol.

I got about 12 jumps worth of time in an hour lol nice!:)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I'm a tunnel rat who can only claim one tandem, so I can't say much--but I WILL say that the other day, I asked one of my instructors how people learn to free fly without a tunnel. He just patted me on the shoulder and kindly informed me that I'm spoiled! (He's right, by the way--I AM spoiled, and I love it.)
TPM Sister #102

I asked one of my instructors how people learn to free fly without a tunnel.

We spend a lot of time backsliding with our friends about 50-100ft away wearing horrified looks on their faces. :P

Working on freeflying in the tunnel is almost like cheating ... and there's no packing involved. :D

edit: "freefly" is one word... and everytime you say it, you have to pay Olaf a royalty. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Woohoo...isn't it fun? So, what 4-way block did you do, Arthur?

Well i guess i shouldn't have said block. I didn't do any 4 way. I did a couple two ways with Suds after I was stable enough.

LOL--okay, "freeflying." I haven't started AFF because there need to be funds available to complete AFF. The tunnel is a compromise until sometime after Christmas bonuses.

And, by the way, I don't think for a minute that the tunnel time is going to keep me from going through the same learning curve as everyone else, including backsliding away from my friends. I just think that with the number of rotations that it has taken me to learn what I know so far, I would have to have a heck of a lot of jumps before I could do any of it in the real world! I don't think of the tunnel as cheating. In my case, it's more like RW, where "RW" stands for "remedial work!"
TPM Sister #102

I don't think for a minute that the tunnel time is going to keep me from going through the same learning curve as everyone else, including backsliding away from my friends.

I beg to differ. You had your learning curve in the tunnel. The only thing your gonna have to learn in exits, tracking, deployment, and canopy flight. You can fly your body already. Also if your not backsliding in the tunnel why would you in real life?

I understand the money thing!! I couldn't jump for 7 months b/c of it.

I beg to differ. You had your learning curve in the tunnel. The only thing your gonna have to learn in exits, tracking, deployment, and canopy flight. You can fly your body already. Also if your not backsliding in the tunnel why would you in real life?

I understand the money thing!! I couldn't jump for 7 months b/c of it.

I would LOVE it if you were right! I just expect some adjustment to not having walls and to being at a full 120 mph. They have the air up pretty high for me now, but it's still not quite at 120. Good news is, no plexiglass bruises.
TPM Sister #102

I would LOVE it if you were right! I just expect some adjustment to not having walls and to being at a full 120 mph. They have the air up pretty high for me now, but it's still not quite at 120. Good news is, no plexiglass bruises.

Just FYI the wind indicator in the tunnel isn't accurate, plus add 30+ lbs of gear and you will go a lot faster. Instead compare how you fly with other people, which is really what you are doing in the sky. The instructors are really good, but if you are to slow they will struggle when flying with you especially in a sit. So after a session talk to them about your fallrate and see if you truely are going to slow. I'd bet money your fallrate is just fine.
Fly it like you stole it!

Just FYI the wind indicator in the tunnel isn't accurate, plus add 30+ lbs of gear and you will go a lot faster. Instead compare how you fly with other people, which is really what you are doing in the sky. The instructors are really good, but if you are to slow they will struggle when flying with you especially in a sit. So after a session talk to them about your fallrate and see if you truely are going to slow. I'd bet money your fallrate is just fine.

WHAT?! I want digital accuracy, here, people! ;) Okay, so I can live with a guesstimate. Which way is the wind indicator off? Is the wind speed really higher, lower, or its a mystery for only the wind gods to know? Or worse, are they just tossing random numbers up there to mess with my head?

Sartre and I were talking about flying together some, but I don't know how well that's going to work. She's tiny (although she'll argue about that one). Still, it might be good. I will have to ask about my fall rate. Matt would probably know, but then again, I don't know that I've done much belly flying with him. Otherwise, I'll ask someone after a session, when it's fresh in their heads. You need to come fly with me--okay, not WITH me, because I'm sure I can't match your skills--but with me.
TPM Sister #102

I'll fly with you anytime (with you meaning in the tunnel at the same time ;)). , I actually think I'm going to head to the tunnel tonight to see if I can get in a few minutes since it's been a few weeks since I've had time to get over there. My sit is probably going to suck donkey butt after such a long break. :P
Fly it like you stole it!

I actually think I'm going to head to the tunnel tonight to see if I can get in a few minutes since it's been a few weeks since I've had time to get over there. My sit is probably going to suck donkey butt after such a long break. :P

I'm SO JEALOUS! I had about 18-20 minutes of tunnel time on Tuesday night and it didn't make the urge go away; it just got stronger. More, more, MORE!! Have a great time tonight, and yes, seriously, I will share my tunnel space with you any time you are available. We'll get sartre in on it--she'll join, too.

Your sit still has to be better than my crab-scuttle-around-the-tunnel-and-hope-for-lift. I really like the drill where you climb up and down off of the instructor's knees, though. FUN!!! Why the long break?
TPM Sister #102

Jewels, you and I weigh close to the same thing. I weigh a couple of pounds more than you, as a matter of fact. We would be good 2-way partners, I think.

Bobby probably weighs less than both of us!! (Tunnel monkey that he is).:)

I seriously doubt that--but I can't wait to find out if we can fly together, anyway! Just another reason you need to come on Sunday.

Oh, and back to the original post on here--AN HOUR IN THE TUNNEL? In ONE DAY?! I would do bad, bad things for that.
TPM Sister #102

I don't think for a minute that the tunnel time is going to keep me from going through the same learning curve as everyone else...

I beg to differ. You had your learning curve in the tunnel. The only thing your gonna have to learn in exits, tracking, deployment, and canopy flight. You can fly your body already....

So, all she has to learn is all the stuff that can kill you? Don't trivialise her learning curve. She'll be well ahead on one aspect of the game, but not on most of the ones that really really matter.

That said, I'm sure she'll do just fine :)

So, all she has to learn is all the stuff that can kill you? Don't trivialise her learning curve. She'll be well ahead on one aspect of the game, but not on most of the ones that really really matter.

That said, I'm sure she'll do just fine :)

LOL--well, I'd really like to avoid the "killing you" part, but I do take it seriously and will work to see that all goes well. Some parts of the learning curve can only be covered in the sky, but hopefully my wind tunnel skills will still come in handy!
TPM Sister #102