MotherGoose

TUNNEL IN CANADA ??

Is there a wind tunnel in Canada, specifically Ontario?? If not where is the nearest tunnel to Toronto ?? Can anyone help ?? I want to get my ass into one of these things ASAP !!
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I want to get my ass into one of these things ASAP !!

although doing it your way might be very soothing, I understand one learns more if you put your entire body in the wind tunnel

{{lots of links on similar threads, if you do a search, you can likely find a link to the bodyflight network - they do a great job keeping track of all the facilities worldwide}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is there a wind tunnel in Canada, specifically Ontario?? If not where is the nearest tunnel to Toronto ?? Can anyone help ?? I want to get my ass into one of these things ASAP !!

None, nada, zilch!

However, I'd love to see Skyventure Toronto or Skyventure Montreal built :)
In the meantime, try driving 6 hours south to www.skyventureNH.com. It's 1 hour north of Boston.

thanks Mark, I think a wind tunnel in our neck of the woods would be awesome, even if its one of the mobile ones like they have in Michigan.

The mobile one from Michigan travels all over the place. http://www.VRSkydiving.com

Talk to Patrick with serious inquires and he may swing up your way some time!

Tell him the little girl who broke his tunnel sent ya :D;)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

And HOW??, might one ask did this little girl break the poor man's tunnel ??

I didn't really break it. I was flying in it on several occasions when it broke :D

Smoke and anti freeze came billowing out the back. I look at my friend and he's yelling, GET OUT!

It was really funny since no one was hurt and the tunnel was fixable.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

maybe I'll boot down to Florida and check you guys out this winter. I have some friiends from SKydive Toronto that went down last year and may go again this year. Nothing like a hot chick in a wind tunnel . . . I think its worth the 19 hour drive . . .
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

maybe I'll boot down to Florida and check you guys out this winter. I have some friiends from SKydive Toronto that went down last year and may go again this year. Nothing like a hot chick in a wind tunnel . . . I think its worth the 19 hour drive . . .

:D:D:$

I only pretend to fly!
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

The same question was asked last year.
A military tunnel - near Belleville, Ontario - was even proposed by the Commanding Officer of the Canadian Parachute Center (CFB Trenton), but let's face it, the Canadian Army is "trailing edge" when it comes to training freefallers.
Belleville might be a great location - along the 401 highway, mid-way between Toronto and Montreal, etc. - but a Canadian wind tunnel will only happen when a civilian entrepreneur risks his own capital.

Then he/she might embarrass the Canadian Army into renting tunnel time.

But would there be enough interest in a wind tunnel in Ontario to sustain it financially and still make the entrepreneur some profit?? I know people say they'd use it, but when it comes down to it, would the place actually make money, or fold up within a year ??? Tunnels are expensive to use no?? Something like 600USD per hour ??

Tunnels are expensive to use no?? Something like 600USD per hour ??

More like $700+ (if you want to fly on the weekends when most people have time). I believe Bedford and AirKix are more because of the conversion rate for those of us in the US.

No, it's not cheap [:/] Still almost half the price of a skydive when you compare minute to minute.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I know people say they'd use it, but when it comes down to it, would the place actually make money, or fold up within a year ??? Tunnels are expensive to use no?? Something like 600USD per hour ??

Most of the profit from windtunnels comes from whuffos paying $35-$45 for a 1 hour "wind tunnel experience" (including 2 hours of actual airtime). By treating the windtunnel as an amusement ride, you can give 600 "rides" per day or so to whuffos who dream of flying without skydiving. Run efficiently, gross from a windtunnel exceeds $10K per day - over $3 million dollars a year. Split the market between skydivers and whuffos, 50-50, or 25-75, or 75-25, you can find a comfortable balance appropriate to the market that the windtunnel is in. Depends on how tourist-heavy the city is, too. A good reason why the first SkyVenture was built in Orlando.

Assuming it is marketed properly, I believe it would probably be financially sustainable in the Toronto area or Montreal area. Toronto is in the top 10 biggest cities of North America, after all.

If I won the lottery, I'd be looking at whether it is economically feasible for me to put together a group of investors (and put a percentage of my winnings into this project).

Maybe even approach Canada's Wonderland (and other big-amusement entities) and say you're building one but prefer to partner with them -- after all; Universal Studios is building a windtunnel now. I'm sure they'd still let skydivers play for extended periods on certain days, too. We could even approach the Canadian Army too; to see if they want to invest some money in it for airtime guarantees (electricity paid at cost). An investor needs to do his or her homework; and keep all these kinds of options open. For example, if you only have a fraction of the cost of a windtunnel, say $500,000 (a full Skyventure tunnel and building costs a few million); that may be enough "power" to attract people to partner with you; a group of people also works.

Remember, the big money in windtunnels is the WHUFFO market...

You investors reading this thread, DO SOME RESEARCH -- Study the tunnel business and past Skyventure partnerships -- Skyventure is at www.skyventure.com ... Buy a tunnel, bring the tunnel to Canada! B| ;)

(Disclaimer: No, I don't work with SkyVenture. I just want a recreational tunnel in Canada!!! My puny RRSP fund doesn't have enough money today to invest in a tunnel.)

Check out http://www.niagarafreefall.com/ Just today I spoke with the guy who is putting the place up and he hopes to be open for business in spring 07.

I have nothing against Skyventure, I love flying their tunnels, but I'm excited to see a new facility open up that is NOT Skyventure. Variety is what makes flying different tunnels fun.

Hope I helped.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

Awesome . . . I just went on the niagara website, this is great news. It doesn't specify when they will be operational, but I assume it will be soon. I wonder how much rental time will be available for jumpers, because Niagara is a huge tourist center and there's no doubt that they will want to cater to them primarily.

Good question, hopefully they will be open to experienced flyers. We cater to the tourist market as well, but we offer discounts to local jumpers, and huge discounts to our Frequent Flyers. In the busiest seaons we'll have late night flying sessions for our regulars. Hopefully Niagra adopts a similar policy.

Just today I got wind of another project in Quebec. Apparently it is open air and ready for testing. I don't know if it is a new facility, or a rebuilt older one. Keep your eyes on BodyFlight.net for news.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

thanks Brad . . . in the meantime, how about a discount package for some of your neighbors to the north who are craving the tunnels ??? I'd fly to Vegas for that . . .

Awesome . . . I just went on the niagara website, this is great news. It doesn't specify when they will be operational, but I assume it will be soon. I wonder how much rental time will be available for jumpers, because Niagara is a huge tourist center and there's no doubt that they will want to cater to them primarily.

That tunnel will never come. The funding was cut. It was a blower anyway (fans on the bottom) and would never have amounted to anything near equal a skyventure tunnel.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!