jwynne

Airspeed 2on2 tunnel camp

I just participated in Airspeeds first 2on2 4way camp. It was a total blast. Over 2 days we did 2 hours of tunnel 4way in 15 minute blocks. 2 students and 2 Airspeed members. When I first saw the program of what was planned, it was pretty intimidating. We did all the blocks except 1, 13 & 20 with lots of vertical moves. They did an excellent job of starting with randoms and easy blocks, then gradually progressing to the more difficult blocks and then combining everything into complex combinations. It really pushed my flying skills. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Right now I think they’re still doing this as an invitational event. It’s going to be hard to match up 4way groups if they don’t know something about the participants. The pace is pretty fast and you need to know the letters, numbers and basic block technique. On the drive home I figured out we did the equivalent of 135 skydives. Each jump gets done twice for 2 minutes, but there’s not time for a lot of detail. No creeping at all. That was a surprise, but there’s just not time. Any serious 4way freaks, you couldn’t find a better way to spend a weekend!

Wow, thanks for posting this. I was also invited to this 2 on 2 Airspeed camp, but I couldn't make it and was wondering how it went. I was wondering how long the camp days are from start to end, and how much time (an hour?) that you have in between the 15 minute sessions. Are there night sessions, like the regular Airspeed tunnel camp night sessions? How does the set-up differ from a regular Airspeed camp, besides being perhaps faster-paced? Thanks again for posting!

The camps are a full day event. The daytime flying ends around 5pm and there is additional time available for those that think flying an hour in a day just isn't quite enough. The future camps will have an hour and a half in between sessions. The pace is very similiar to what you would experience during one of the Airspeed basic skills tunnel camps. There is little downtime between sessions. The hour and a half is used to debrief the previous session and prepare the upcoming session. The last camp used only 1 hour in between which was a little bit on the tight side.

Does the 2-on-2 really make that much difference?

I haven't done a 2 on 2 but I did 3 on `1 with Airspeed a few weeks ago, and it was great. It's definitely a learning experience when you know that you are the only one making the mistakes.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Does the 2-on-2 really make that much difference?

I haven't done a 2 on 2 but I did 3 on `1 with Airspeed a few weeks ago,

I'm going to take your lunch money next time I see you.:P

2 on 2 is a great training format. It allows a pair of teammates to work with a 'perfect' (relatively) base to get the precision down. Also, seeing the body technique in front of you during a training cycle automatically makes you better as you mimic.

Once the coaches go 2 on 2 with the first 2, then the same dive with the other 2, put the 4-way in and do it again. Repeats, first with pros, then with each other. It's a very effective way to use time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm going to take your lunch money next time I see you.

2 on 2 is a great training format. It allows a pair of teammates to work with a 'perfect' (relatively) base to get the precision down. Also, seeing the body technique in front of you during a training cycle automatically makes you better as you mimic.

Watch it boy, Kirk and the gang has turned me into a point turnin monster!!! Besides I have no lunch money, I spent it all on coaching:P

Seriously though about mimicing your coach, he's absolutely right, I picked up a much faster way of doing 14's just by watching Kirk fly opposite of me(I stole his slot and made in fly the inside;)).

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Once the coaches go 2 on 2 with the first 2, then the same dive with the other 2, put the 4-way in and do it again

So then you get to watch a pro fly your slot close up in the tunnel (i.e. rather than from above in a standard video) before you get the chance to do it yourself. Would clear up piece move problems I guess if the coach is flying with both of you in turn - he can see/feel who is doing something weird :S

2 on 2 is a great training format

Gee, I wonder where you did that?

The last 3 years in row - an last year with a couple coaches, Steve Hamilton and some other guy, just can't quite place the face or name just now:P, I'll send you a note about the camp we just finished. you'd be proud. It was the best ever. We hit a bunch of the old blocks, and 5, and 16, and 17 too, so got some B slot work for randoms and blocks too. We got the 6's to where they wers fast and clean too, both A and B slots - FINALLY. Remember last year, with one teammate 'exiting' the tunnel after a particularly bad 6???:D

This one was a blast. I'd like some more please.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants