freefalljenn

Fitting in lots of sit flying???

This is my first post, so please be nice. I have mostly been belly flying in the tunnel and that doesn't make me too sore. I can do about an hour or more in a day with no problems and no sloppiness.
However, when I started sit flying in the tunnel yesterday, one session made my shoulders and chest muslces BURN! With some advil and serious motivation I made it through all of my sessions sit flying. But, by the last one, my arms were so tired that I was really sloppy and spent a lot of time getting off my back and back into the sit only to go to my back again because my muscles weren't strong enough to hold me in a sit.
Does anyone have advice with regards to sit flying for multiple sessions in a day. I live pretty far from a tunnel, so I try to get the most bang for my buck with my vacations to the tunnel and my cash. I am still not good enough to go in and work on sit flying without a coach.
Thanks in advance!!!
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

It took me a while to build up my arms for sit flying, now I can do 2 hours in a day no problem. I don't have any advice other than keep flying.. thing I noticed personally is, it doesn't matter how much I work out with weights etc, it doesn't make much difference, as the stress & strength needed to sit fly are very different and I don't think can be trained for doing anything but flying.

Smaller sessions is a start which will give your muscles time to recoup between sessions...

Have patience & keep flying!

i'm not so sure i agree on the 'nothing else helps".

most of the activity in skydiving consists of isometric exercise (continual resistance against an 'imovable' object) i found that while learing to track most efficiently i could exercise the same muscles on the ground by 'lifting' myself off the ground holding the tracking position with my body..

the same feeling/effect can be created for sitflying but you need a high enough platform to be able to 'hang' from your arms and shoulders..

lifting weights doenst help as much because it doesnt offer the right kind of resistance, but hanging from your arm position for brief periods and extending your shoulder blades against a fix wall or pillar has helped me build strength for longer sit sessions even when i'm not in the tunnel.

I have also found that fatigue sets in faster for me when I’m freeflying in the tunnel versus doing belly RW. I think the difference is due to the speed at which each discipline is performed. With RW there is a greater surface area presented to the wind which makes it easy to get lift. You don’t have to work at it to get off the grate and in fact most people wear lead. With freeflying even though the tunnel speed is turned up you have to work to get lift in some of the faster positions like sit flying.

But don’t fret there is hope. There are techniques you can use to help provide lift with out using muscle groups that get tired easily. For starters you can try leaning back into your sit more by arching your back a little and sticking out your chest. (always fun for the ladies :)

Now speaking of legs this is your second major tool. Instead of trying to hang from your arms you can use your legs to provide lift. This is done by taking on a wider sit stance and pressing the inside of your legs against the wind. Some people go for the straighter leg more of a split style where those with flexible hips and knees do a more of a knee bend inward. What ever style you use the concept is the same in the sense that you use your legs for most of your lift. This is helpful because your leg muscles are used to heavy work and don’t fatigue as quickly as your arms.

I hope these tips are helpful but the best tips of all are to talk to and work with a good coach and keep flying in the tunnel as much as possible.

La

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

hmm easiest way i've found to recreate the arm and shoulder strain involves a modified 'dip' exercise. I have a couple of large floor safes that are right above arm pit level on me.. so whenever i walk thru i put my arms flat and level (starting slightly above level) at my normal sitfly position and 'pick myself up' off the floor to hang for a few min... In this position i am supporting my body weight (with my arms but not my back) in the same position my arms are in (mostly) for sitflying.. (perhaps imagining you were doing a 'chest dip' exercise but supporting your body with your entire arm as opposed to just the hands..

for the nice 'upright exposed shoulders/back' position it is more difficult to replace the wind you 'hang on' however if you can find a wall (or a pillar works best IME) that you can use to 'present your back into the wind' the same way you do in the airflow.. the only issue is you cant really 'hang' as you can from your arms so its not as accurate an approximation.

there are VERY few activities that cannot be trained in isolation from their specific sport. It just requires some creative thought and attention to the nature of the action you are training. However any form of isometric exercise only really works to improve strength and endurance for a specific action. Learning to coordinate the seperate actions into flight is best done by flying.... but there are certainly a variety of ways to train the muscles used outside of freefall..

For starters you can try leaning back into your sit more by arching your back a little and sticking out your chest. (always fun for the ladies :)

Nice post La, I really enjoyed reading that ;) Great advice!

Freefalljenn:
To add a little to what La said, if you find your arms are fatiguing, try having them bent at the elbow 90 degrees, pointing in front of you (if you can picture this). Instead of having straight arms out to your sides for lift, when you bend your arms you have created an easier wing to help you catch air.

Working out has definitely helped my stamina while flying a ton in a day. I do a hard core boxing session with a trainer/former heavy weight champ 4 times a week to help rehab my hip- this is far more challenging than flying a ton in one day and its only an hour. If you've ever boxed you know what I'm talking about; full body work out, 2.5 minute rounds with hardly any break between and during those breaks you are doing sit ups, push ups, or lunges w. weights. Try boxing, jumping rope, cardio activities, and weights to keep you happy, healthy, and flying like a pixie :)
The wind speed probably has something to do with the fatigue you are experiencing. As La said, even though the air is faster you have to create more lift than bellyflying. Stick with it and have patience. Fly a ton and it will come in time. I had something like 130 minutes before I was flying off the net in a sit more than I was bouncing around on it :D I'm a slow learner though, just about everything I do in there takes a ton of time & tries my patience but its worth it in the end. I'm so greatful for the patient SVO staff :)
You'll get some good advice on here but the best thing to do is talk with a coach or instructor at your tunnel. They have seen you fly and know what can help you out. Having that knowledge allows them to mesh their advice w. with your flying and learning style.

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it goes!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com