fmmobley

First timer needs advice

I am going to Orlando and will be there January 12, 2006. I plan to book time that day. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do so I make best use of my time in the tunnel.
Do I need a coach? Should I use the instructors on site there? What else do I need to consider?
... Marion

Use the rats at the tunnel. Talk to them about your goals, expectations (expect to have a great time :) I suggest tipping them too, they are worth every penny you'd give them.

Plan to book ahead of time. The books through December are filled to the max. BOOK EARLY, BOOK NOW if you haven't already!!!!!!!!!!

Motel 6 has discounted rates for SVO visitors $45 a night.

Drink lots, bring icy hot patches, advil, stretch, and stretch some more.

FLY & HAVE FUN!!!!! :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I would also suggest wearing gloves as this is a first time visit. I was there last week, and despite my jump numbers and time in the sport, it was my first wind tunnel experience. It takes some getting used to. You'll probably bounce around the walls and the wire screen on the bottom. I got my bare fingers caught for a second through that screen and can see how it could get broken or scraped good that way.

The tunnel will also have knee and elbow pads available on request. I wish I'd used them, heh...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would also suggest wearing gloves as this is a first time visit.

Apart from the reasons BillyVance gave, Florida can be pretty damn cold in January, so take some thermal underwear with you - you will be glad that you did!

I remember one Jan, the Russians actually stopped flying as it was too cold for them:S

Have fun out there!

Liz

Apart from the reasons BillyVance gave, Florida can be pretty damn cold in January:S

It can get frigid at night down here. Neck warmers will be your best friend in the tunnel! Skydive DeLand has a good selection of super soft ones with cool designs.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Do you guess it's the humidity in the air that makes it feel so cold, the lows don't get below like 40 degrees right? I've flown up here in 20 degree weather while it's snowing and it doesn't seem very cold at all... in fact after a few seconds I'm usually sweating.

also wondering.. I saw the heaters in there now... is it REALLY that uncomfortale to fly 2.5 min rotations in the cold air even with heaters around to warm up?

Do you guess it's the humidity in the air that makes it feel so cold, the lows don't get below like 40 degrees right? I've flown up here in 20 degree weather while it's snowing and it doesn't seem very cold at all... in fact after a few seconds I'm usually sweating.

also wondering.. I saw the heaters in there now... is it REALLY that uncomfortale to fly 2.5 min rotations in the cold air even with heaters around to warm up?

I honestly have no idea about the humidity and if it makes the air colder. I know 136mph air during the winter makes me sick after flying a few hours. I sweat under my suit after a bit of flying too but its also cold in the chamber waiting for your flight time (esp. if you only have 15-20 minutes and you are sitting a lot). Edited to add: I'm sure you are in the air stream for longer than our rotations but damn 20 degrees is cold!

The heaters are very nice esp. for late night sessions. You'll see people standing on the benches trying to get closer to the heat :D

Maybe Bowen or an SV employee could help us out with that ?. I'll be sure to ask them about that on my next trip.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Would it be off to tease you playfully about the fact that we are lovely and warm with climate controlled air? ;):ph34r::D:P

Not at all :P:D I'd rather be cold than hot in a tunnel however. Flying warms me up, can't cool down too easily though. Had I not gone right for the Powerade after flying in Vegas, I probably would have passed out, I was roasting (last flight of the day). We did just fly in from FL so I'm sure that had something to do with my exhaustion too, not just the heat. The next morning when we flew it was sooooooooo nice.

I lived in Ohio for 23 years, FL cold even in the tunnel is NOTHING! :P:D;)
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Ahh... I see where youve gone wrong - not used to having the temp just right!! :):P youve only experienced too hot or cold

We are thinking of adding a feature to the tunnel that mops your forhead too when you sweat too much:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Would it be off to tease you playfully about the fact that we are lovely and warm with climate controlled air? ;):ph34r::D:P

I guess it means that I too can tease you and let you know that we here in Colorado will soon be toasty and warm this winter;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey