explorer366

Stable box Position

Im really new to skydiving. I have only 4 jumps to my name. Im still at level 3, My problem is really simply, I cant seem to stay in the box position. My arch is not enough im told, so what do I do? I need some input in the situation. The only thing I can think of is programing my body to be more flexible and more controlable. suggestion Please!!! I cant quit I need the sky . help!!!

I really wish I could help. I'm another new jumper, and have all sorts of stability and spinning problems. I've received lots and lots of advice, but the consensus seems to boil down to two things: (1) Relax, and (2) it will eventually just click. And I guess I'd add (3) these things are likely to happen at the same time.

I just finished AFF and that was my problem area. I was not thinking "Pelvis" "Push with the Bush" is the most helpfull info they can give to you! Forget legs...think pelvis pushed and ONLY toes pointed. You will get it. I was not pushing enough and kept backsliding. I still feel awkward giving advice because I don't have 10,000 jumps but fuck it! Think pelvis "stick it in her" or" get it in you" (female) with just pointed toes! Good luck.

Hey, welcome to the sky!
Not as if I can give tons of advice, but Relax is great.
Also, yes, program your body. Some of the advice I was given was lay on a coffee table, bed, or floor, and have the only contact point be your hips. That's almost impossible to do, but it will help you in finding your arch. Lift your shoulders, lift your legs, and have the only thing in touch with the surface be your hips... pelvis, if you'd rather.
You will feel the pull in your lower back (I don't mean hurt yourself, though). Lift up from your upper back and your upper back legs. Hold for a count of (whatever you can stand), realax onto the surface, and then repeat. Try to do this several times, relaxing each time. Then take a break, and do it again. Do it in the morning, and then do it at night.
Also, another trick is placing your feet about 24 inches from a wall, and reach for the wall with your hips. Try to not touch it with anything but your hips. This looks really weird, and feels weird, but it has helped.
And then, when you're in the air, smile and relax. You're out there, in the incredible sky, and it's not like you can get bak into the plane, right? So enjoy being in the air, until it's time to get under canopy. Then enjoy being under canopy. I haven't had lots of experience, but the one thing I am sure of: once you leave the plane, youhave made the commitment to see this jump through, so relax and enjoy yourself.
Hope this helps. There's lots of advice and help on these boards. Ask you questions, and have yourself a most wonderful learning experience. You'll be fine.
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

"Push with the Bush" is the most helpfull info they can give to you

OMG! I about spewed my drink through my nose reading that! :D
Yeah, like I mentioned in the fred thread (snicker) I had a problem with the hips as well. Just let your hips sort of sink into it. Relax enough and you can have an arch just like Vikings! :D
--------
Zennie
"I know the pieces fit. 'Cause I watched them fall away..."
--Tool

I appreciate the advice, I think i have to work and work on the flexible part, I have been told a-z to nice and not very nice way of puting it. lol. I think i need alittle relaxing and a whole lot of grace. I have been told the best divers are dancers and rock climbers because of thier ablility to take their time and flexiblity. Many thanks and maybe Ill see you at the drop zone. Right now Im dropping out at Lake Elisinore. see you.

imagine you're having sex through a hole in the wall !!! Practice on the ground with an instructor / experienced skydiver

Damnit man you owe me a new keyboard b/c this one has sunkist all over it and in it >:(

Just let your hips sort of sink into it. Relax enough and you can have an arch just like Vikings!

ahhh shucks :$ it is nothing really i can't wait till i really relax and actually try to bend myself in half :)
also i think This Photo shows my true ability:)I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet

OMG! I about spewed my drink through my nose reading that!

Then you will love this one too Zen. One of the instructors at our dz is from Oz and with his cute little accent he always says with a huge amount of enthusiam...and I quote..."Stick your dick out and FUCK THE WORLD mate." :D
Tee

..."Stick your dick out and FUCK THE WORLD mate."

I like it! LOL! :D
But...um...Tee... you don't have one of those. Or is there something you aren't telling us? :$
--------
Zennie
"I know the pieces fit. 'Cause I watched them fall away..."
--Tool

But...um...Tee... you don't have one of those. Or is there something you aren't telling us?

ROFLMAO!!!!
Thankfully he wasn't my instructor! :D But because of my gymnastics background, I used to arch with my back and chest instead of my hips. So my instructor (who is now my boyfriend :$ ) used to tell me stop flirting (sticking his chest out) and get right to the sex (now arching with his pelvis) :D Apparently I listened....and not just in skydiving! lol
Tee

Remember guys, this is a moderated forum.. that being said...;)

my gymnastics background, I used to arch with my back and chest instead of my hips.

Now there's a whole bunch of DZ.comers lusting....

So my instructor (who is now my boyfriend)

Now there's a whole bunch of DZ.comers frustrated and swearing they too will become instructors!
Remi
Muff 914

So my instructor (who is now my boyfriend ) used to tell me stop flirting (sticking his chest out) and get right to the sex (now arching with his pelvis) Apparently I listened....and not just in skydiving!

AHA! An AFFJM course at my home DZ in Nov....I'M THERE! ;)
Mike

The biggest thing here is RELAX. As you get ready to exit, take a deep breath, exhale, and just slide off the plane. No tensing, no jumping, no leaping, no reaching necessary - as soon as you've let go of the plane you're right where you need to be!! just breathe in as you give the "ready," breathe out as you give "set," and simply let go of the aircraft on "go." As soon as possible, cross your eyes and stick out your tongue at your instructor.
I saw video of my Skydive University coached jumps that prove the usefulness of tongue-wagging: I'm really trying hard to get to my instructor, but I keep turning right - so I turn my head and reach for him, which makes it worse. Finally I relaxed, crossed my eyes and stuck out my tongue, and my body position INSTANTLY improved and I nailed the TLOs for that jump.
If you're not feeling confident about your arch, try getting in your bathtub, putting your hands and toes on the rim, and balancing on your pelvis -- have barely any weight on your arms and toes. And of course don't forget to stick out your tongue, cross your eyes, and laugh.