freefalling2day

Skyventure New Hampshire is on it's way!

Hey! There looks like there's enough land for a dropzone across the street! Just kidding, but a Northeast skydiving resort (ala Perris and Eloy) would be very interesting. Ah well, one can dream...

That does bring up another question -- what are the actual dropzones that are the nearest to the windtunnel?

Hey! There looks like there's enough land for a dropzone across the street! Just kidding, but a Northeast skydiving resort (ala Perris and Eloy) would be very interesting. Ah well, one can dream...

That does bring up another question -- what are the actual dropzones that are the nearest to the windtunnel?

Hi Mark,

There is a bunch of land there but it will soon be shopping / commuter rail to boston and so on.

Here is a list of all of the surrounding dropzones and you can also go to www.uspa.org to look up info on them.
Pepperell Skydiving Center - Pepperell, MA. www.skyjump.com 12 minutes if you drive FAST,.. and 15 if you take your time!

Jumptown - Orange, MA - www.jumptown.com The time was not posted correctly. It actually takes just over an hour to get there from the tunnel. Unless someone tells me some secret route to take.

Skydive New England - www.ugojump.com 1 hour and 40 minutes

Connecticut Parachutists - Ellington, CT-www.skydivect.com 1 hour and 50 minutes.

So,.. I hope that you find this helpful. The last I checked all of these DZ's are running Otter's or Super Otters.
There are no dropzones in NH but there will be a TUNNEL!;)
If you are thinking of flying the closest airport is Manchester, NH - 25 minutes to the tunnel.
Boston - Logan is only 45 minutes away.

Look forward to seeing you.:)Blue Skies!
Laurie

And just a 45 minute drive to a Twin Otter thats here year round

How many speeding tickets does that include......lol :P

Are you guys planning on having the Thankgiving Day boogie/weekend again this year? I think I want to get in a few jumps before I pack in my gear for the winter.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

This is all very encouraging. A tunnel within a 6 hour drive. Just gotta let ya know, these periodic posts/pix help me keep the faith. There are many skeptics down here in NJ as there have been various tunnel projects in the works for years (e.g. on the SkyVenture site, you can still see that the Philly Pa tunnel is promised for the summer of 2005-I'm pretty sure they don't even have a site picked out yet). I keep having this recurring dream that I’ll be driving 6 hours up to NH, I’ll turn the corner and there will be a brand spanking new Wall Mart staring at me. In any case, looking forward to opening day. njrich

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -Mario Andretti

Please re-assure all the skeptics that the NH tunnel is a reality (the site is too small for a WallyWorld anyway)!
More pics and info can be found at http://www.bodyflight.net. Click on the "under construction" (I think) links in the top right.
The tunnel should be open by March, however the longer it takes the more time I have to save $$$ to spend there! :)Stacey

The tunnel should be open by March,

Thanks Stacy for the input.

As an owner of SkyVenture New Hampshire I have to tell everyone that we hope to be open in March. Our opening date will depend on how bad our winter is.
So,.. hope for a mild winter and we will get this baby built.

On another note our first shipment of fans will be arriving the first week in December. Our fans are state of the art and a little different than Colorado or Airkix. I will post pictures of them when we get them. We are still on schedule for getting our paving done and things are coming along.

I know that I have said this in the past but our website is being worked on and should be up fairly soon. I will post a message when it is running.
We have set our pricing and will be giving early bird specials. We will also be selling gift certificates as soon as the site is up.

Rob and I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!
Blue Skies!
Laurie

The tunnel should be open by March

WHOO HOO!

Maybe I can get enough experience for the 2006 Canadian 80-way record after all! ;)

John, your enthusiasm for big ways is great. Please keep in mind that flying in the tunnel will not help you with your diving and tracking skills.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have to disagree and say that tunnel will help him tracking and diving into a formation. Just because he won't be traveling across the sky, doesn't mean he won't know how to do it better with tunnel flying. The tunnel will make him a better flyer and I would much rather have experience in the tunnel before I dove into a formation for the first time. Tracking can also be practiced in the tunnel. The position is exactly the same as in the sky without the obvious horizontal movement. Just ask the instructor about it and they can show you what I'm talking about. The tunnel will help in every aspect of bodyflight. Just because it's not exactly the same, doesn't mean it won't adequately prepare you and give you confidence to do the real thing.

I have to disagree and say that tunnel will help him tracking and diving into a formation.

Who said anything about tracking? I've never said anything about praticing my tracking in a windtunnel.

I need to fly my slot better with finer fallrate and attitude control. That's why I need the windtunnel bad, half of my failures to dock in a 20-way was because I didn't have good enough fine-tuned control, occasionally rocking in my slot and having to back away to avoid wrecking the formation. I can't sideslide very quickly yet for example, and I need to dock quickly, relaxed and accurately. The windtunnel shall help me with this, I would think... Things like touch front wall, touch side wall, to pratice pretend docking, and doing all of this accurately and quickly without rocking my body, exercising my fallrate, sideslides, back/forward movements, knee turns, centre turns, chest turns, while falling down the tube. I can already do all of this at least to the basics, but I can be either slow or inaccurate, I need to be better than I am right now to have much better than 50% success in docking in a 20-way of experienced jumpers.

I'm already making most of my solos tracking solos or tracking formations (25% of my jumps have been tracking jumps for the last 50 jumps).

My jumping for the last 50 jumps (jump #89-#138) according to my logbook:
About 50% are RW, of which half are 4-ways and bigger. Several were 20-way attempts for DWR2005 in October.
About 25% are tracking pratice (either solo or track formations)
About 25% are other fun jumps (some of the silly kind, plus some no-contact CRW, a night jump, and other miscellaneous)

I know I'm a bit of a low jumper and inexperienced but I'd like to see if I can make it into the experience levels needed for an 80-way in the next 7 months.

Hi Mark,

As I have said in the past we look forward to meeting you and helping you with any of your goals.

On another note,... just an update to everyone about our site. Our construction crew is digging in the street now at 12:32 am hooking up our water line as I post this. This is our last utility to hook up to our site.
We have our final load of steel arriving Monday am. Rob and I always look forward to this because we get to go out and count EVERY piece! :S The site is scheduled to be paved on 12/1.B| It is a nice way to start the month of December. It appears that mother nature is going to dump some SNOW on Turkey Day! [:/]We don't need snow this early so I am in hopes that we don't get any.
The film crew for American Builder was out again yesterday gathering footage. They will be working something up for when we start flying steel which should be VERY SOON! I will keep you posted.

I have been given the task today to try and figure out what color to paint our exposed inlet contractor. So I am thinking that it will be a nice blue.

Well,.. that is all here and I hope that everyone has a nice Thanksgiving!
Blue Cold Skies!
Laurie

I have been given the task today to try and figure out what color to paint our exposed inlet contractor. So I am thinking that it will be a nice blue.

I don't know if paint works the same way as ink (ask your painter), but a guy I know who paints signs
told me that red is the first color to fade when a sign is exposed to sunlight. Something to do with the
IR or UV light from the sun. Look at a movie poster or color photo that's been in the sun too long. So
blue might be is a good choice. On the other hand, lots of barns are painted red, and they don't fade
off too fast, so this might be BS.

Idea: If the contractor is visible from the street, then after you paint it whatever color you decide, you
might make up a stencil and paint "DANGER - JET INTAKE" on it in a contrasting color, as seen on the
side of fighter jets. An example from an F-14:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/001-100/walk070_F14/part2/images/doc2-106.jpg

OK, it's not really a jet intake, but you probably don't want to stand next to it. Since this is for
marketing purposes, it doesn't actually have to be true. :) On the other hand, people might complain
that the labeled "jet intake" is going to suck in a bird or their hat or their pet Chihuahua, so maybe you
don't want to do this.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I have been given the task today to try and figure out what color to paint our exposed inlet contractor.

I read that as "CONtractor" (hired hand) rather than "conTRACTor" (squeezing device)

Imagine the confusion. It was only a moment, but funny. I wonder if it's spelled with an 'e' contracter - then I can blame someone else for my loss of thought, it's the second thing to go as you approach 40.

Edit: Nope

con·trac·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kntrktr, kn-trk-)
n.
1 - One that agrees to furnish materials or perform services at a specified price, especially for construction work.
2 - Something, especially a muscle, that contracts.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's a closed circuit tunnel. I don't think there'll be an inlet at
the...ummm... "inlet".

When I was writing that, something in the back of my mind was asking,
"why would they want a way to suck in outside air in New Hampshire?"
I've got to start listening to the voices in my head more often. :)

I _think_ even the closed circuit tunnels have a way to admit outside
air into the flow, I think mostly to help regulate the temperature, but
I'm not sure. But I think you're right; the item being discussed is
probably exposed on the ground floor of the building, under the flight
chamber.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.