simplycomplex7

Backflying?

If anyone lives in Orlando and is interested in splitting a 30 minute block at the tunnel, let me know! I'm working on learning how to backfly and want to have sitflying down by October. My AIM sn is AnjaliLuv03. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

I'm not interested in learning freefly, but I am definitely looking to share a 1-hour block of tunnel time (savings over 30 minutes to myself). The off-peak rates are $575 so that'd be $287 for half an hour of tunnel each for two, or about $191 for 20 minutes each for three.

I'd just be praticing various intermediate RW skills with most of my share of tunnel time.

Looking for time sometime anytime the week of October 10th at SV Orlando.

You may be seriously under estimating how much time it is going to take you to get your sit down. I had 130 something minutes in the tunnel before I was flying off the net more than not (I'm slow), I didn't have may skydives either, more than 9 but less than 50.

Be patient and give it time, you'll be flying before you know it.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

It's become a competition. Not only am I incredibly competitive by nature anyway, but once I lay out a goal, I work hard to achieve it. Unfortunately, I've shattered my left ear drum, so I can't jump from planes but have been doing a lot of tunnel work. I'm working on backflying and have gotten it down for the most part and plan to start learning how to sit fly by the end of August. Any tips?? Also, any advice on transferring what I'm learning in the tunnel to the sky? It's always so different jumping from a plane and being in the tunnel. Thanks so much!
-----------------------------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

It's become a competition. Not only am I incredibly competitive by nature anyway, but once I lay out a goal, I work hard to achieve it. Unfortunately, I've shattered my left ear drum, so I can't jump from planes but have been doing a lot of tunnel work. I'm working on backflying and have gotten it down for the most part and plan to start learning how to sit fly by the end of August. Any tips?? Also, any advice on transferring what I'm learning in the tunnel to the sky? It's always so different jumping from a plane and being in the tunnel. Thanks so much!

I'm sorry its a competition, it should be fun.

My tip would be to spend lots of time in the tunnel esp. if you are driven. It will only take time and money really. If you have the 2 they will get you flying.

There is a whole post about skydiving and tunnel flying. Check out all the resources that are already out there and written on this site. I don't jump anymore due to an injury but hopefully one day it won't hurt to jump and I'll have more sky input.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm sorry you don't think competition is fun.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm sorry you don't think competition is fun.

Competition is fun but that's not the only thing that should drive you.

Side note: I'm training to compete right now so obviously I think its fun. I can't imagine someone would amass the tunnel time I have (in the small time frame 30+hrs ~1 yr.) if they did not want to compete, be challenged, and driven on some level.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Stop being sweet. I'm feeling contentious today.

(a couple weekends ago I overheard a conversation from a skydiver about not competing because "it's" so tense, and so picky, and so not fun. I really wanted to point out that they had no clue and in reality the problem is how "they" are when competitive, not how "it" is - meaning competition. A good and very serious team works hard, but has fun because of the advancement and closeness that develops. This person likely tried it once with the wrong mix of people and then ate the cliche hook line and sinker. Else they just have the cliche in their brains and are coming at it with a completely stereotyped and close-minded attitude. Sadly, it's one of the main reasons new jumpers think they want to sitfly, like their personalities won't go with them regardless of which discipline they initially focus on. Still the best freeflyers, the best RW'ers, the best swoopers all compete - it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. Competing makes you better, and the best compete. And the best competitors likely have the MOST fun and the most satisfaction.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Still the best freeflyers, the best RW'ers, the best swoopers all compete - it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. Competing makes you better, and the best compete. And the best competitors likely have the MOST fun and the most satisfaction.

I disagree. I don't like to be involved in competitions at the dz. Plenty of other places in life where competition is mandatory.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I disagree. I don't like to be involved in competitions at the dz. Plenty of other places in life where competition is mandatory.

Then you don't have to be. That's one of the great things about skydiving. There are so many different disciplines, and you have as diverse a community as you could ever want.

Personally, I enjoy competition. However, I think it's silly to tell other people that they should, too. On that same note, I think it is equally as silly to tell people that they should NOT be competitve. That's what drives a lot of people, and no one should discourage that, since that's what they enjoy.

I just disagreed with his whole train of thought that __I__ need to be a competitor at the DZ to be the best I can be at something, or have the "most" fun or some such. (Sounds we sorta agree on that bit anyway.)

I harbor no ill will at all for those that wish to compete, and am sure they don't towards me. (That'd just be silly.) And I expect that most skydivers that engage in competition cheer in their hearts for their "adversaries" to do well. I just don't want to compete (at the dz). Been doing it elsewhere and succeeding at it all my life. The dz for me is a place to be free of all that kind of thing. Maybe my attitude on it will change over time, but as of now I doubt it. (yeah I'm working the Freeflying big surprise eh :o:D).

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Still the best freeflyers, the best RW'ers, the best swoopers all compete

not true...

many of the 'best' (whatever that means) chose not to for many reasons of their own....