Evelyn

Visor coming open in wind tunnel

I have an Oxgyn helmet and have never had a problem with the visor coming open during skydives, but have had it open several times while in the tunnel (Perris) when flying close to the net. Saturday, while in the tunnel my visor not only came open, but broke completely off. My helmet only has a couple hundred jumps and a couple hours in the tunnel, so it wasn't like it was an old helmet. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or what full face helmet you wear in the tunnel and don't have this problem. I love the fit of my Oxygn helmet but am thinking I may want to buy a second helmet for the tunnel since I fly the tunnel a couple times a month. I have an open face helmet which I could use, but I don't like the feeling of my cheeks flapping and I like the protection a full face helmet provides when flying with other people. Any sugggestions? A friend who had this same problem duct tapes her visor when in the tunnel. This may be an option, but buying a second helmet may be a better option.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Any sugggestions?

Ask a tunnel rat who used to be in gear sales.:D

Check the plastic ratchet that hold the visor are a) not broken, and b) installed in the correct direction.

As for a second helmet, it's a great idea. I suggest the Mamba from Bonehead as I like the helmet and love the company, or the Factory Diver (Non flip up) from SkySystems.

Oh yeah, duct tape is cheap.
:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hey Evelyn, sorry that this happened to you. I've seen this happen twice within a few minutes. It was during last season's Tunnel League, during one of the Open Division comps. It happened to MJ, then to Erin. [:/]

I agree with JP about one of his suggested helmet choices. I also fly with an old Factory Diver, which is a non-flip, and I've never had that problem. (I bought mine used, but it was the only full-face helmet that truly fit my head/face structure well.) You can try mine on for fit if you'd like. :)

I've seen it happen several times (MJ, Erin, Dom, Christopher) with the Oxygn helmets.

So I just stick to using my old Factory Diver in the tunnel and keep my Oxygn for the sky.

Plus I find it's easier to just take it off to tell someone something than to deal with a visor or hear what they are trying to say, plus the chances of the visor coming off are greatly diminished (although still possible).

Bill

I have a Factory diver I use in the tunnel, and an A3 I jump with.

The reason? I hate taking my Neptune out and I keep a jumpsuit and a helmet in the car in case I need them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I had the same problem with my Oxygen opening in the tunnel during the camp this past April. The velcro would loosen and it would start to pop off my head, then the face shield would open. One should have nothing to do with the other but they always happen together and in the same sequence. Even with duct tape, I've come very close to losing my helmet in freefall a couple of times. I'm getting pretty good at tracking with my hands on my head. The only solution for me was to order a Mamba. Should be here any day now.B|

One should have nothing to do with the other but they always happen together and in the same sequence.

Acctually they do. The losening of the helmet will let more air in and helps push the lens open from the inside.

Try the snap modification.

BTW the Mamba is real nice.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.