cloudseeker2001

Is the air filtered in the wind tunnels?

Generally, most facilities the answer would be no....

However, small projectiles that would hurt (ie hard metal coins etc) do not have the surface area to be shot at you... and if dropped in the air.... would fall rather than rise.

On an under prop system this would be why you cannot take these things in with you, on an over prop system we would just collect the coins at the end of the day and go for beer

:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

In Orlando, the intake area is fenced off, and within the intake is a baffle that would stop anything bigger than a few inches. It might be possible to throw some thing through or over the fence, but that would be in plain view of the tunnel staff and customers. I presume such an act would be dealt with promptly.

Ahh, I see....

In that case, for sure they are not filtered.... and it wouldnt be nice to have a sandstorm under the tunnel when you are flying! The air speed at intake is substantially lower than the flight chamber of course (only a few mph) so particles would probably need to be in the air to start with....

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

If I remember correctly, the lip of the intake is 4-5 feet off the ground, and directly below is a concrete slab, I guess to prevent sand and other debris from being drawn up off the bear ground. The baffle is higher up in the intake, maybe 10 feet, where it is narrowing down. You can just feel the draw of the tunnel a little bit at the fence.

The air is filtered through a metal wire mesh. ;)

(The strands are some 3 inches apart..)

HAHA!! That just keeps the birds out!

They really should filter the air. It would not cost much and it would protect people and equipment.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

They really should filter the air. It would not cost much and it would protect people and equipment.

And it would also increase the static pressure causing more stress on the motors and reduced air speed.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

They really should filter the air. It would not cost much and it would protect people and equipment.

And it would also increase the static pressure causing more stress on the motors and reduced air speed.;)

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! No, I am not talking about high density HEPA filters! 3/10 of an inch is all the pressure drop would be. Filters would protect people and equipment while adding no stress and no real loss of cfm. Filters would also catch rain as well. :)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Funny story about how that fence came to be at Orlando.

I was out visiting Bill before the tunnel was open to the public, he wanted my boys, who were younger at the time, to jump in and see what was going to be needed for air flow. After they were done with their time, Bill and I jumped in and played around. During our flight time, we looked down and noticed both my boys standing under the tunnel and spitting up at Bill and I:ph34r: After Bill and I finished our session he looked at me and said, "Need to fix that problem."
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

One practical joke I can think of involves:

a tunnel camp of your more forgiving friends
a water supply
a hose
a bag or two of flour

in that order (it's probably already been done)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I would hope it has not been done. That flour could really mess things up:S But it is a good thought. It would be fun to do, so long as I didn't have to clean up the mess, or answer to the owner of the tunnel.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey