GeorgiaDon

First timer jitters

A couple of weeks ago I stopped at the Orlando tunnel while on my way to Miami. As luck would have it my new jumpsuit (first one with booties) arrived the day before so I took it with me to try it out. I got to watch some Airspeed tunnel campers, which was an unexpected (and quite amazing) bonus. Anyway I had just 10 minutes booked, in four 2 1/2 minute slots. I went in for the first slot, all stoked from watching Airspeed, and spent the whole 2 1/2 minutes bouncing off the walls while I tried to figure out what to do with my legs. By the 4th slot I could more or less stay in place and manage centerpoint turns. I know I wasn't doing myself any favors by trying out a new jumpsuit and first time with booties, but I found the tunnel a lot harder than I had expected (very humbling but still lots of fun). Do people usually find that it takes a while to get used to flying in the tunnel or do most take to it right away?

I have found that some of my friend with more jumps found it strange to get used to for the first few minutes... then their experience helps.....

The tunnel does show you every miniscule movement where you would get away with alot in the sky without realising!

I had a friend with 500+ jumps that never really realised he had a backslide (minor) until he went to orlando...

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Out of the hundreds of students.. I would say that IN GENERAL those with around 100 jumps or less, do better initially in a tunnel.. girls are initally better at it than guys. Your size has alot to do with it, the larger you are the harder it will be. All in all, though you are not alone, it usually takes a few minutes AT LEAST to get acclimated to the different environment and probably 15-30 before you feel in some control. But you will find that your tunnel skills will translate well to the sky.

Good luck!
Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels

I'm glad to hear that the skills will translate. I am a static line student with 8 jumps who is having problems with gaining stability (probably still just nerves) and I am hoping that the tunnel will help. I am scheduled to attend the camp on Saturday in Orlando.
**They say you don't pay for your raisin' till you raise your own - what DID my momma do to deserve this?**

I would say that IN GENERAL those with around 100 jumps or less, do better initially in a tunnel.. girls are initally better at it than guys.

WAAA!

I am SO screwed! 4.5K jumps... and I'm a boy!
Worse - my goal is to learn to sit!

Nothing like a challenge though!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

:)
I know you said "IN GENERAL" but I was reading the thread cos of it's title.

My mother probably thinks I can sitfly. My former AFF students with 50 jumps laugh like crazy and my kids roll on the floor in stitches when they watch me.

I'll be doing about 25 - 30 freefly dives in Eloy and then heading to the Perris tunnel if funds allow. It should be interesting. I could probably recoup the cost selling tickets to the video screening...:$

t

Oh, ok I see (I think ;))

Anyhow, just have some fun while your in there if you make it, I hear the enviromnet over at Perris is absolutely wonderful! It's a little different for everyone, I'm sure with a little flight time back to back, you'll have it in no time, what with 4500 jumps!

Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels

Hey... selling your video to fund your jumps is not a bad idea!....

I have a great clip of my fiance freaking out in orlando and doing a back/head down track out of the door!

Could be worth £250 if I send it to 'Youve been framed' or similar :D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

What I like about skydiving is that we're all students. I feel some pressure to perform, and will make all the mistakes others make there 1st time doing something new.

I will have fun though. I've honed that skill over the years!:D

t

I will get 30 minutes in the tunnel. The camp is from 8:30 to 5:00 so there is also a lot of instruction. Can't have too much info! I do expect it to be difficult at first but I hope that I get the hang of it quickly. I'm sure that I will be "chomping at the bits" to get back to my dz to try out my new skills.
**They say you don't pay for your raisin' till you raise your own - what DID my momma do to deserve this?**

I know I wasn't doing myself any favors by trying out a new jumpsuit and first time with booties, but I found the tunnel a lot harder than I had expected (very humbling but still lots of fun). Do people usually find that it takes a while to get used to flying in the tunnel or do most take to it right away?

(emphasis added) The tunnel is like a magnifying glass for little mistakes. The walls are a great reminder that falling straight down is more active than passive, and the constricting feeling of the chamber size versus the big blue, plus the rougher airflow within the chamber contributes to a more difficult flying experience.

You gave your ego no assistance by putting on an unfamiliar suit with first time booties. Booties change the equation quite dramatically, amplifying lower leg input. Most belly manuveurs are subtlely to dramatically different with booties. And with the walls that close by, any deviation from a pure vertical "fall" will be exposed. Until you get used to them, booties will almost certainly push you forward unexpectedly.

A good skills camp, like the Airspeed camps (which I'm partial to) will do wonders for your confidence and skills within the tunnel and in the air. The benefits of the camps are that you get a solid briefing before, instruction during, debrief after, multiple days to let the subject sink in, and lots of time to practice. The one hour of wind time in a three day Airspeed camp is completely different from booking an hour on your own.

So when you look at the Airspeed campers doing some stuff, don't be too surprised if you have some trouble copying it on your own. But most of them have trouble on their first couple of sessions as well. Welcome to the club!