1 1
coreyangel

Military Jump Course

I hope there is someone out there who can help me out. I am a skydiver and I held instructor ratings so I have an understanding of the First Jump Course, but I'm looking for for information on the military jump school.

I am doing my capstone project for Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and part of it is comparing sport jump training with military jump training. My "Holy Grail" would be to get a copy of the military's first jump course syllabus. Any help would be appreciated.
Learn from others' mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
POPS 10672

Safe to assume you mean MFF and not static line? If that's the case, getting a copy of the training manual will be tough unless it is out dated. What kind of info are you looking for exactly?

I say this because how we train when it comes to things like this tends to be guarded info. The style of training is quite different in the sense that feelings and fun are not part of the training process. I'm not saying it isn't fun just that you are there to learn a task and pass a course. Also when it comes to military application there are a lot of things that are added that aren't in AFF such as gear and equipment (that aren't your parachute). These add on's change how you will fly and land. There is also going to be night iterations and high altitude stuff involving O2 which aren't part of AFF.

I'm sure some MFF guys might be able to elaborate more if they care to. but it'd be easier to say it's AFF on steroids. ;)

As far as the build up of skills then yes they would be very similar, crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint, light speed.

Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

Actually, static line would be fine since static line is still a way to train sport jumpers.

It is understood that equipment and military tactics are definitely something not associated with sport jumping (I am also a retired Marine) i just need to contrast the two and I only need to be able to write 4 to 8 pages since this comparison is only a small part of my whole project.

My degree specializes in human factors and education. I am writing a lot on skydiving education and the section I am putting this comparison under is justifying why sport skydiving needs to go through a instructional design process and not just take a few pages out of the already established military syllabus.
Learn from others' mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
POPS 10672

coreyangel

I am writing a lot on skydiving education and the section I am putting this comparison under is justifying why sport skydiving needs to go through a instructional design process and not just take a few pages out of the already established military syllabus.

Well, how many sport jumpers would still be interested in jumping if they spent 2 weeks getting their bells rang trying to do PLFs, only to get to jump a few times on the third week? :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

I am writing a lot on skydiving education and the section I am putting this comparison under is justifying why sport skydiving needs to go through a instructional design process and not just take a few pages out of the already established military syllabus.

Well, how many sport jumpers would still be interested in jumping if they spent 2 weeks getting their bells rang trying to do PLFs, only to get to jump a few times on the third week? :D:D

The civilian first-jump-course changed radically during the 1950s when Jacques Andre Istel brought modern free-fall methods to the USA. JAI also realized that American students did not have the patience to struggle through 2.5 weeks of training, so he condensed it to a half-day of "must-knows."
Also consider that by the 1960s, military static-line parachutes were more reliable than students. Back then, the biggest risk was ankle injuries from poor landing technique. If we could convince students to land with their feet together, we were doing well.

Also consider that most military course are primarily about screening.
How much is the student willing to sweat to earn jump-wings?
How many thousand push-ups is the student willing to do to earn jump-wings?
How many chin-ups is the student willing to do to earn jump-wings?
How many miles is the student willing to run to earn jump-wings?
How much boredom is the student willing to endure to earn jump-wings?
How much pain is the student willing to endure to earn jump-wings?

Instructors are trying to screen students to figure out which students will keep their cool when cold, tired, scared ... under fire, etc.
Whether you learn anything is secondary. I hate to tell you how many times I reported into a squadron and the first thing I heard was "forget everything you learned at the school, because we do it differently at this squadron."

A lot of changes are taking place at the swc and commbat assignment systems, training time lines and personel sellection are closer to personel team planning and assignment, mean more closed courses,, my advice is stay close to your working structure, and let the data come to you, if needed,, ...

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -