frontloop33

What do you get for being an instructor?

Hi!

the topic sounds quite materialistic, but what do you get for being an Instructor?
Is it just the satisfaction to teach students or do you get paid by your drop-zone? Do you have to pay for your jumps with students, do you have to pay for your fun-jumps at the same drop zone? ...

I don't mean tandem instructors but AFF instructors.

The answer is going to be "it depends." Depends on the dropzone, depends on the person's role (coach, AFFI, full-time or part-time, etc.)

For instructional jumps at most dropzones, the instructor does not pay for his or her jump, and receives some amount on top of that for their time, which may vary by the type of jump or the role the instructor plays on the jump (main side vs. reserve side AFFI, for example, may pay differently, a coach jump may pay a different amount from either of those). Instructors are usually paid for teaching ground school or packing classes, too.

Instructors will generally pay for their fun jumps, though they may be given the opportunity to buy jumps at a discounted staff rate.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Is it just the satisfaction to teach students or do you get paid by your drop-zone?Its satisfaction of seeing their eyes light up when they get it. It definitely is not the pay. Per jump AFFI gets paid the least.

Do you have to pay for your jumps with students,No do you have to pay for your fun-jumps at the same drop zone? ...Yes
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

A shit ton of resposibility for students that are constantly not doing what you taught them. Overage stiff guys that can't relax into a good body position. Students that fly off into the sunset as you tell them on the radio to turn around. Girls that fall at 100 and guys that fall at 160. Packing in time to debrief then brief next student on a 20 minute call. Catchind a wildly spinning student in time to pull for them.
Is it all worth the benefits that someone described above? Only you can answer that question.

do you get paid by your drop-zone?

Everyone gets paid in some way. Most are regular cash deals, making 'x' dollars per jump. Some people just have money put on account at the DZ, that they then use for fun jumps, gear, or rigging. It's really just a matter of whatever you and the DZO can agree on, but nobody does it for 'free'.

Just getting the rating is $1000 or $1200. If you have to travel somewhere for a ratings course, that just adds to the cost. If you have to do a ton of practice jumps to prep for the course, that's even more. There has to be a return on those costs.

Beyond that, most people do it for the enjoyment and the challenge of working with students. You can make a 'living' being an instructor, but a really good job as an AFF I (in the US) is going to get you $30k per year before taxes and that's with zero benefits. I would guess the majority are 'weekend warriors', and have a during-the-week job, or some other form of income to supplement their AFF money.

You could do a little better if you also did tandems, video, and rigging, but that another thread.

You get what put into it.

I gave it my all, started with nothing, and got a beautiful wife, to visit 15 countries, a great career and now I am a DZO.

Sometimes I payed for jumos and others not, My DZ offers free fun jumps for staff.

The situation is different at almost every DZ so it takes some travel to find what you like best, or to simply appreciate what you have already.

Aside from all that I get a tremendous amount of satisfacton knowing many people that I take on a skydive have just done the best thing they will ever do in their life.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I get a free slot for the working jump. :)
I get enough $ that I can buy two more slots at the staff discount rate. :)
I get the emotional rewards of opening the sky as playground for new jumpers.B|

Occasionally I get a bonus payment in the form of sheer terror.:o:o:o

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!